Rudder Pins?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Jacuzzi

What are the rudder pins made of on Speedmaster 40/60 rudders is it  drill rod or ?  I  dropped the pin somehow during a heat last year and need to replace it and would like a few spares.  Thanks Tony J

Tony,

I do not know what Speedmaster is using. However, I have used standard dowel pins, M-2 steel HHS blanks & piano wire, all 1/4' diameter. Never had any of these break even when shearing a 6-32 stainless steel rudder shear pin. I drill the 1/4" size pins with a 9/64" carbide drill to reduce the weight.

JA

.625 bore barrel carburetor on QD 271.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
.187" OD Seamless Hollow Alignment Pin- precision ground, light weight.

Or, .187" OD 18-8 Stainless Steel Pull-Out Dowel Pin.

97175a318p1l.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the rudder pins made of on Speedmaster 40/60 rudders is it  drill rod or ?  I  dropped the pin somehow during a heat last year and need to replace it and would like a few spares.  Thanks Tony J
Tony,

I could be wrong, but don't think I am.   If you are referring to the pivot pin on a Speedmaster rudder, I'm pretty sure that pin is 3/16" and uses the oil lite bushings that we used to use in the struts. Think the OD of the bushings are 1/4" ID of 3/16"

I'm pretty sure they're using dowel pins, very hard.  I like 0-1 drill rod, if I have some and I'll shoot you a bit.  Then you can part it off on your new lathe!

Latest posts

Back