Lynx cut prop

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertDoak

Ok...so I have to ask....

What is a lynx cut propeller....I have seen it mentioned many time on this site...is there someone that can show me a lynx cut compared to a non lynx cut propeller... ..many thanks ....

I don’t have a picture on hand,

but in reference to a X series propeller, those props are detounged, with a V cut from the hub to trailing edge. I believe that the lynx cut particularly references that V cut on other models.

They look like  this. Mark Sholund supplies them in various pitches. I suggest you get with Mark and tell him what your setup is and he'll  get you a prop in the ballpark. You can work from there. Setup is everything in tunnels....IMHO

20181207_184817.jpg

Mike,

Thanks for showing Robert that M-440 w/Lynx-Cut on your O. S. 

I have a couple new ones that I have been working on recently.

I believe I have a 1515 for you also.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Mike Starrett..

Thanks for the picture.....it is truly worth a thousand words....so its the "flat" spot just off the trailing edge of the hub....and I guess this reduces lift.

The Lynx is a tuned model. Tuned meaning that it does not require a prop with a ton of lift built into it nor does it require a pound of weight to keep it on the water at speed and it does not like negative trim or low prop heights. Instead it wants very little weight, the engine height set high, no negative thrust and a prop that provides minimal lift. All of this is required for a fast boat.

The goal as a designer is to eliminate the need for these power robbing adjustments that older style boats require. The Lynx was developed to use as much of the engines horse power to propel it forward instead of using a large percentage of the available horse power just to combat a poorly designed boat. That is one reason why it likes the Lynx cut props and and is where the name of the cut came from.

There are a few people that still work props and THANKS to them all for supplying worked and unworked props to modelers. I'm not going to try to name them all because as soon as I do I will forget somebody.

-Carl

Last edited:
Back