Power Coating

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertDoak

So...why not...

This is going to be a tutorial on my experience powder coating....nothing is set in stone, or from a expert point of view....

I chose the Eastwood DIY system mostly because of the company and the super great deal I was able to get .....super cyber Monday....a $60 system for $36 free shipping....the oven is a Black&Decker....large enough for a 12" pizza....

20181202_065040-1.jpg

The parts I'm choosing to do are k&b 3.5 outboard parts.....im too cheap to buy them from Mecoa....so I will reproduce them....

I have the cylinder head jacket ..flywheel and nut...and the hinge mount

20181201_131008.jpg

Well the process is simple.....

Clean .... Coat....bake....

While some may say not to do this in the house(living area) it doesn't seem to have much smell....aside from the typical toaster oven warm up smell...

And Walla.....some K&B 3.5 SX parts...

20181202_053600-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to also mention...I would like different stuff to powder coat....I currently have Satin Black.....Red...Yello...White..so..if someone would like something coated for free and would not mind shipping it to me ....let me know...this way I get to pratice with different items..

So although more expensive in the initial cost....its a lot less time....smell...prep..

Plus I wont have to worry about fuel issues with the paint...so now I need to get a spray booth together thats portable...light...and perhaps closeable to put away while not in use....another project....here is the finished motor...ita a k&b 3.5....made into a 3.5 SX ..with a X440/3 prop....all mounted on an Dumas Hotshot Sprint...

20181202_130148.jpg

Thanks Brad...

So I concluded that 1..I'm no expert

And 2. Powder coating need to be in a dedicated area ...Working out of a garage is fine...but it should be a fixed area for proper control and repetable results.

So I have a volunteer that lent me his Irwin 7.5cc pipe....looks like brand new...I will powder coat it Satin Black

20181203_050214.jpg

Looks like it turned out pretty good... do you think that system from Eastwood will spray ceramic coatings?...

Let us know how the durability of that powder coating is over a bit of time.

Thanks!

Hello Tim..

As far as ceramic coating....there is a method called "Hot Flocking"....non conductive surface is pre warmed...then powder coat is applied then re heated to 400° for 20 minutes...this allows the coating to stick to the surface..in theory it should work....it works on glass

Hello Tim..

As far as ceramic coating....there is a method called "Hot Flocking"....non conductive surface is pre warmed...then powder coat is applied then re heated to 400° for 20 minutes...this allows the coating to stick to the surface..in theory it should work....it works on glass
Hmmm, have to look into that... we've been having excellent results with ceramic coating pipe, header, piston top, and squish/bowl of head button.

I've a friend who has a powder/ceramic coating business in NC... does an excellent job with ceramic coating that is good for 2000°+, but it's

about $75 to do items above. He's able to control the coating thickness accurately down to .0003".

I think what Tim is asking is not about putting powder coat on a ceramic or non conductive surface, but rather putting a ceramic vs. a thermosetting plastic coating on a conductive surface.

Im having a slight issue posting a "After" powder coating picture of the Irwin 7.5cc pipe...but it turned out very nice...

Ok a update on powder coating...

I purchaced the DIY powder gun from Eastwood...the product is good ..no problems with it....but I have made a discovery....Eastwood has a dual voltage gun also...well I already knew this but didnt want to spend the extra money..

Well here is the difference...

The DIY gun outputs 11000 volts

The dual gun starts at 15000 switchable to 25000 volts output...

So even at low power setting the powder attraction will be greater...so...Eastwood has excellent customer service and will accept my original powder gun as a return and I purchased the dual powder gun ...slight cost difference but I still got it at a sale price not the normal price...

So this is an update on the Eastwood powder coating system..
I returned the original system and purchased the dual gun....
The Eastwood people are awesome btw..
And also went with the additional 3 powder cups....
I stripped the K&B parts with a mix of Acetone/Tolulene mixture...just submerge...let sit and wire brush clean...
Easy....
So the powder gun works the same...except for the dual mode/power setting switch...I went with the high setting and the results were major different....much heaver powder application and after baking....a major difference in appearance....im very happy with the results....easy cleanup...and no smell....im happy...

So I'm expanding the color spectrum...I now have
Matte black
Orange.(my version)
Red
Lime green
Kawasaki green
White
Yellow

Attachments

• 20190514_142948.jpg
    20190514_142948.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
20190518_132632.jpg newest project from the powder coater...
Gas Cooling jacket in lime green
K&B .67 head in Matte black
And a .40 size pipe also in Matte black

Back