Delrin question.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Hagan JR

I'm making a Engine rail out of Delrin. Do you guys use a insert or will taping it be okay. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam

Use a form tap the size for your screws.

Dave

Drill under size ,standard tap,long bolt, no problem. Doing that way for 20 years

Delron very tuff material so no need for inserts

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

How are you going to hold it in the boat? I’ve meve heard of a product called Delron. I know of “DELRIN” and you can’t even successfully glue that together with crazy glue. 

Delrin is a self lubricating material used on slides on machines and so on.

Dave

It's awesome how some people on here try to be funny dicks and fail.

I just have standard taps for chasing threads. David should have some at his work. I'll probably get him to tap them for me. 

Sam

With size are you tapping the holes.Using a standard cutting tap on something soft is a weak thread.A form tap rolls the thread and make a very strong thread.If you can give me a print on were the hole are going and what size I can do it for you.Call me tomorrow.

Dave

I got the pieces at Davids to have them milled to what I want them to be. I have to do a little measuring. For the holes. 

Samuel,

I'd strongly suggest investing in the form tap. It'll cost you $20-ish, each,  and you'll get a much better result. Form tapping in Delrin produces a nylock effect, and the screws will not vibrate loose. You also don't have to worry about chasing chips to the bottom of the hole, as there are no chips from the tap.You'll wish you'd done it sooner.

For example: Fhttps://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/49710593

Tap drill sizes for form tapping:

#4-40 - .098-.100"

#6-32 - .122" (ideal) but a .125" will work

#8-32 - .149"

#10-32 - .177"

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

Blackack Hydros

Model Machine And Precision LLC

Form Tapping is amazing, its just about all I use now in aluminum and Delrin. Much better thread than a cutting tap. 

There are many grades of Dupont Delrin acetal homopolymer resins available. Some, such as Delrin 300CP NC010, give very high tensile strength, high impact strength, high fatigue resistance & high toughness. All of the Delrin acetal resins will exhibit some creep traits, even when machined with very sharp cutting tools. There are also some heat treatable grades that can be stabilized before machining.

Jim Allen

NO, you don't.  A forming tap reshapes the material to form the threads, unlike a cutting tap, which removes material to form the threads.  I've never threaded delrin so I can't say anything about it but I have worked with cut and rolled threads in aluminum.  Rolled threads tend to be stronger than cut, but only to a point.  Something else that COULD make a difference is the aluminum alloy in which the threads were cut/formed.  I haven't tried it but I don't think you can had form rolled threads into 7075, not sure on 6061 either so, if someone knows, please let us know.

Back