Total Boat Epoxy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard of it.  Stuff is fairly spendy though.  $48 shipped for a quart of resin and a pint of hardener seems a little high, especially since they don't give you the working time in the description.  Then again, I pay $40 per quart of 105 resin and $20 for a half pint of slow set 206 hardener for West Systems.  The big difference I see is that West Systems uses a 5:1 ratio with the 205 and 206 hardeners or 3:1 with the 207  and 209 hardeners,  making it slightly more economical to use than Total Boat's 2:1 mix.

Never heard of it.  Stuff is fairly spendy though.  $48 shipped for a quart of resin and a pint of hardener seems a little high, especially since they don't give you the working time in the description.  Then again, I pay $40 per quart of 105 resin and $20 for a half pint of slow set 206 hardener for West Systems.  The big difference I see is that West Systems uses a 5:1 ratio with the 205 and 206 hardeners or 3:1 with the 207  and 209 hardeners,  making it slightly more economical to use than Total Boat's 2:1 mix.
Here’s the data sheet...
https://doc.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pdfs/TotalBoat/TotalBoat_Penetrating_Epoxy_TDS_9.28.16.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice, 20 minutes of working time.  I can see a major difference between Total Boat and West Systems.  Total Boat specifically says that you can add solvents to the mix, West Systems says not to.  I guess, for those that want to make their epoxy thinner, this is the product for them. 

I've used it and wasn't impressed, what do you plan to do with it? Look at Mas brand with a no blush hardener it's a better choice for sealing.

I've used it and wasn't impressed, what do you plan to do with it? Look at Mas brand with a no blush hardener it's a better choice for sealing.
Just for sealing/waterproofing inside areas...It’s probably overkill for our application after reading a little more into it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Total boat is too thick to soak in much, it must be thinned, and takes too long to cure unless the temp is just right. Look for Smiths cpes  clear penetrating epoxy sealer. Thin like water, 1 to 1 mix soaks in very well. Keep in mind that what ever you use to seal only goes into the ply until it meets the next cross ply at the glue joint, but deeper on the edge grain.

Total boat is too thick to soak in much, it must be thinned, and takes too long to cure unless the temp is just right. Look for Smiths cpes  clear penetrating epoxy sealer. Thin like water, 1 to 1 mix soaks in very well. Keep in mind that what ever you use to seal only goes into the ply until it meets the next cross ply at the glue joint, but deeper on the edge grain.
If you watch the video on their site, this resin is very thin. And you can thin it down with solvent even further. It appears to be able to drop off of a paint brush like water. Kind of like Thompson’s Water Seal. I originally posted about this because I’m going to be building my first non-rigger boat, and sealing with a spray gun was my thought. And maybe do touch ups with a small brush. Is automotive clear coat a suitable sealer also? Forgive the obvious, I’m a newbie to boats...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used it and it's not that thin, you might be able to spray it if you thin it 50% or so.

I have the total boats 5:1 kit I'm going to use on the JAE 21G2 I'm building. I'm actually building two JAE21 G2s at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back