advise needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Dixon

Hey Guys its been a while since I was on this forum so I hope I am still welcome. Even thou they are on the back burner I am still fascinated by these tunnel boats. Me and a couple of guys have 3 or 4 tunnels boats each and are always smack talking about out running each other. We haven't been to the pond a a couple of years but all the smack talking is getting us interested again. I have a cobra tunnel with a water cooled OS and my buddy has a gold head K&B on a lightweight VS1 and I think my Boat is plenty fast enough but his screams....anybody got any recommended or tips on out running him. I have some o'donnel blues and some technology hobbies 60%. I believe I was running a grim racer 40X52 3 blade prop. Its a short 350ft pond so its like a short track race..lol. I'm sure he will see this but it will only add to the smack talk..lol..he also has a sniper with a redhead cmb....I got to figure out how to out run him with an OS..I also have a VS1 OS combo.

Last edited by a moderator:
An O.S. Runs better with the canister from my experience.

if anything, strap on the v2 muffler with the extended center section and you’ll pick up a couple mph. You’re in the ball park with the prop, also worth trying are a lynx cut x442, and an ABC 40x53

Yeah I have an Aircooled Os that needs a piston and sleeve..so I have the extended canister pipe....will look into the prop suggestion.

Chris,

The M-440 with a Lynx-Cut is a great propeller also on that set up.

I think the X-442 will be a little too much diameter on that set up

on a short track. Just a thought? Happy Holidays!

Mark Sholund

An O.S. Runs better with the canister from my experience.

if anything, strap on the v2 muffler with the extended center section and you’ll pick up a couple mph. You’re in the ball park with the prop, also worth trying are a lynx cut x442, and an ABC 40x53
I would take Brandon's advise. The ACB 4053 sharpened and balanced is a good starting point.

Chris,

A Stock 40x53 has too much cup in it for great rpm approx. 3.91”

If I was you, I would reduce the trailing edge cup at .7 radi. it will

run much better off the corners.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

We run ours right out of the bag. Just sharpened and balanced but we are only 130 feet above sea level too....so, if you are in a high elevation area it may keep you from turning that prop up like you should. Elevation makes a big difference in what you can turn for sure. My Air cooled O/S will spin the freaking shine off that bad boy. If you need some prop mods Mark can fix you up.

-Carl

I'm thinking about entering a boat in sport tunnel in Charleston this year so I've got to get a couple of my tunnels up to speed before fall. Thanks for the info guys.

I'm thinking about entering a boat in sport tunnel in Charleston this year so I've got to get a couple of my tunnels up to speed before fall. Thanks for the info guys.
Awesome Chris!

we run all over District 13 in the south so if you got any questions, always more than happy to help. Charleston has awesome water, I always love making a race there with how well our stuff tends to run there.

Got the cobra tunnel separated to reseal. Refinishing the VS1. Building a FE Wood mystery Tunnel from a kit and building 2 FE riggers...whew...Got my work cut out..lol

Brandon has his tunnel rolling on along. Him and Kevin Lee and quite a few others should bring you some competition if you want to see where you stand in the class. Try to put the SOWEGA Tunnel Race on your list of races to make. That's a GREAT site for tunnel boats and the family that puts that race on is top notch! There are no home team starting line favorites there. If your over you are called over.

-Carl

Brandon has his tunnel rolling on along. Him and Kevin Lee and quite a few others should bring you some competition if you want to see where you stand in the class. Try to put the SOWEGA Tunnel Race on your list of races to make. That's a GREAT site for tunnel boats and the family that puts that race on is top notch! There are no home team starting line favorites there. If your over you are called over.

-Carl
sounds good.

-Carl
Carl you and Talley going to Sowega in February? I'm trying to  talk Kevin into going 

Tell Kevin he needs to get rid of that big boat...nobody runs them in February anyway...

Back