System 3 Polyurethane Clear

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting... I wonder how that would hold up to nitro, polish out, etc...

I've become very cautious about these 2K urethane's we've been using... the isocyanates

affect everyone differently- sometimes immediately, sometimes in an accumulative fashion.

They say the only failsafe way to use them is with a Supplied Air Respirator.

Please keep us posted as to the performance of the System Three product.

Thanks-

Tim

A number of years back I was the paint supervisor for a company in Florida, an aviation defense contractor, we did a lot of testing for Boeing and Lockheed Martin. All of our primers and undercoats were waterborne epoxies or waterborne urethanes. That may sound odd to some, but the systems we developed were amazingly durable. It’s as if they became one with whatever substrate they were intended for. Acid baths, extreme heat, extreme cold, solvents, even electricity was used to prematurely wear away these waterborne primers and undercoats. I’ve professionally painted for over two and a half decades, but when I saw first hand what some of this newer technology and chemistry could do, I was blown away.

I’m going to buy a quart kit of System 3’s clear topcoat and put it through some of my own testing and let you know what I come up with. Who knows, it could be a winner...

Interesting... I wonder how that would hold up to nitro, polish out, etc...

I've become very cautious about these 2K urethane's we've been using... the isocyanates

affect everyone differently- sometimes immediately, sometimes in an accumulative fashion.

They say the only failsafe way to use them is with a Supplied Air Respirator.

Please keep us posted as to the performance of the System Three product.

Thanks-

Tim
Absolutely... And really good ventilation in the spraying environment. Lots of cfm’s of air movement is key.

I ended up ordering a quart kit of the bright white. I’m going to epoxy prime a couple of test panels and paint them with the 2k waterborne polyurethane paint. I’ll post an update in a week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prepped several aluminum test panels and a piece of epoxy resin sealed 1/16” aircraft ply. Two coats of white epoxy primer for the first step. My plan is to take one of these all the way through final top coat and the others will only be coated with each step in the process. So I will end up with a primer only panel, one with primer and the white System 3 waterborne polyurethane, one with the System 3 poly with SEM fluorescent additive tinted clear coat, and one that’s been painted with the System 3 poly and only clear coated.

Later on I’ll be soaking these test panels in acetone, lacquer thinner, and high Nitro fuel. The key to getting a paint film to breakdown prematurely, if it even will, is to scratch through it down to the bare substrate allowing the solvents, chemicals, etc to also attack it from underneath.

I’m curious to see the results.../monthly_2018_11/IMG_9446.thumb.jpg.9bc3053f8c55f19935c074ca519d13a0.jpg

/monthly_2018_11/IMG_9445.thumb.jpg.07149d65f88b98bfc9e176228a747b4c.jpg

/monthly_2018_11/IMG_9447.thumb.jpg.ad50e6f89454224ad6980bf66ec5d783.jpg

/monthly_2018_11/IMG_9448.thumb.jpg.02db4edc34356552beede0e5440d2ec2.jpg

The other products that will be sprayed on my test panels.

This epoxy primer is really awesome stuff, I highly recommend giving it a shot if you’ve never used it before. And it’s about 1/2 the cost of Klass Kote, sands like a dream too.

View attachment 97735

The touch-up gun I’m using. HVLP with a 1.0mm tip.

Attachments

• IMG_9446.jpg
    IMG_9446.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9445.jpg
    IMG_9445.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9447.jpg
    IMG_9447.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9448.jpg
    IMG_9448.jpg
    664.4 KB · Views: 8
Ok... Sorry for the delay....

I placed one of my panels in a ziplock bag with 30% heli fuel, let it sit for 48 hours... I took a razor blade and cut a checkerboard pattern into it to allow the fuel to have full access to the paint and primer. The only issue I found after removing it from the fuel bath was that the epoxy primer underneath the water based polyurethane separated in a couple small area from the aluminum panel. The WB Polyurethane is 100% unaffected by the fuel.

Aluminum is not the easiest substrate to get good adhesion with, which most likely explains the epoxy primer lifting in the two small spots. Overall I’m quite impressed. IMG_2846.jpg
IMG_0057.jpg
IMG_0059.jpg

Latest posts

Back