Engine temp recommendations please.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephenLilly

Built a 12g4 jae rigger recently (first boat). I've got about a gallon of nitro through it and am nearing the point of wondering how lean it will run but don't won't to over do it. Any guidelines on engine temp ranges that are recommended? The setup is .18 os turbo engine, os p3 turbo plugs, torco 25% nitro 22% lube, 1440 prop. Thank you

Around 200F and don't build heat by leaning down the needle. Prop load, pipe length and cooling to the motor are what you want to work on to get the motor up to temp.

Around 200F and don't build heat by leaning down the needle. Prop load, pipe length and cooling to the motor are what you want to work on to get the motor up to temp.
Matt is on it. We recommend 180-200 degrees measured at the glow plug as optimum running temps.

Matt, Terry Keeley once told me squeeze off the water intake and open the needle (let it eat) is this the same thing you are talking about? I guess over cooling can work against us sometimes.

Matt, Terry Keeley once told me squeeze off the water intake and open the needle (let it eat) is this the same thing you are talking about? I guess over cooling can work against us sometimes.
Yes

So is this an ideal temperature for all motor sides?

Fons
This is more for 12 and 21s. The larger engines don't need to run quite that hot. More like 180 for 45 and up. Hotter engines can burn more fuel which is the goal.

Back