JAE History

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geraghty

Prologue....
I ain't a English major , so if you don't like the way I am writing this or what I am
saying then...."don't" read it....
A short JAE history.....One day David Hall and I were discussing outriggers and David
made a very profound statement....he said anytime you have to put a
.005" shim under a boom tube to get a boat to launch....
there is something really wrong with that boat.....We were both running a rigger with moderate success but
Davids words really really struck home with me....No truer words were ever spoken....
Physics is a language of truth not perceived truth by the layman or the keyboard racer....

Moving on.....

1.A given truth....95% of RC boat "RACERS" have the innate ability to
screw with a boats design until they have successfully killed the boats
intended performance......lol
2.Another truth....98% of boat builders always feel it necessary to
incorporate design changes that they feel will make the boat better,even if there is no scientific evidence of same
,and when the boat doesn't work they comment in print [keyboard racer] that the boat is a POS....
3.The "JAE" boat design was never intended to be pointed at the "RACER"
4.The entire intention of the JAE series of outriggers was to create a
path for hobbyists to build an outrigger instead of buying and be
successful running that RC outriggers....
5.The JAE design team intended that RC boating to be very pleasurable
RC boating experience instead of a path of complete frustration resulting
in a big VISA CARD BALANCE...

That being said....Lets continue....

When David Hall and myself embarked on the JAE journey some 10+ years
ago,this was our mission.....
We built test boats and when we were happy we initially released the "free plans"
to RC Universe.....[Not Intl Waters] We were not pointing the boats
design at the "RACER" .....
The first boat that we knew of....was built by a modeler in Finland
and then he released a You Tube video of the boat running.....
Shazaam....after seeing that video we knew we had a viable design to move forward....

Continuing on....Joe Petro of Zippkits has also been a big part of the JAE
team and making the boat available to the RC boaters...
It was by accident that Joe even became involved with JAE....almost like
divine intervention that we came together...lolol
When David and I gave Joe the go to ahead to build the first .12 boat
these were our requirements....

1."DO NOT CHANGE A THING ABOUT THE DESIGN".......
2.We wanted no physical hull adjustments required....
3.Very easy to build for the novice builder...
4.Cheap to build.... In other words a young or novice RC hobbyist could
afford to build and run an outrigger RC hydro.....
5.Competitive speed if possible.....That requirement has turned out to be true....
6.We told Joe If you hear or see of anything that will make the boat better please
tell us ......
7.Requirements for ease of construction and building techniques in the
instruction manual were totally in Joes court...
We did give Joe JAE boat set up instructions to be added to the
instruction manuals but the rest was up to him....I am here to
tell you Joe has really stepped up making the JAE what it is
today...This was a total team effort..
Joe has accomplished all we have ever asked....Now there have been a
couple of unintentional consequences along the way but they were corrected
as soon as they were recognized.....

The rest is history......Did David and I ever expect the JAE to go
to where it is today...absolutely not....so let the journey continue and
we will all see where it goes for RC boating....

Rod Geraghty for JAE=Jackass Engineering...and that is another story
for another day...lol

A very Special thanks to: Ron Zaker Jr. & Martin Truex Jr.... JAE Team Members
You can trust everything they contribute...Everything they contribute
is a result of physical testing and not perception... Their RC history and records speaks for itself...

Nice History Rodney.

I do have a couple of small disagreements.

Having been a full time producer of R/C outrigger race boats since 1986 I have found that your point #1 and point #2

are far from the truth. From my experience only about 5% r/c boaters fit into those points.

Most boaters want a boat that will perform well as designed and not have to change anything.

That said, in all fairness, that number will surely increase when the r/c boaters are presented with flat wood kits where

mods and tweaks can easily be incorporated.

And that's not a bad thing! It is well known that the JEA has improved over the years due to these mods and tweaks of many

different r/c boaters.

Can't wait to hear the "rest of the story". The name.., JAE

Cheers!

Andy

My son has one of the first 12 kit boats. His boat is still winning today and has won at Hobart several times.

I was fortunate enough to have sat in on one of your seminars with Ron and David at first Hobart race discussing the J.A.P. (screw the politically correct).
default_happy.png
Good stuff.
default_cool.png

There were men in Japan with boats like that over 20 years ago. Some boats were built with the concept further back then that, even in the tether boat days. But, you guys developed a cheap, easy to build boat developed for nitro boaters and it has helped the hobby and that’s what it’s all about. Jeff Lutz

There were men in Japan with boats like that over 20 years ago. Some boats were built with the concept further back then that, even in the tether boat days. But, you guys developed a cheap, easy to build boat developed for nitro boaters and it has helped the hobby and that’s what it’s all about. Jeff Lutz
You are right but also wrong....lolol

The rest of the JAE story....[condensed version]
default_biggrin.png
:D

The boats in Japan were not using totally flat plane surfaces touching the water....the Japanese were using the ski in some cases and we really liked that......

We really liked the boat being 100% supported with riding surfaces.......[i have hours of CD's showing Japanese boats running]

Being supported on [3] running surfaces is the major reason the boat runs very well without any hull/sponson adjustments required....

The boats sponsons of the JAP boats by in large were wider apart with narrow center sections giving that waterbug appearance....

We also wanted to get rid of the sponson "non-trip" chines....

The JAE has proved that if the turnfin is big enough and doing its job non-trips are not necessary.....The JAE turns great....The wider footprint also helped this....

This also makes the boat much easier to build for the novice builder....

The Japanese boats did inspire David and my approach to the visual appearance design of the JAE....

It just made sense ,the wider the boat stance on the boat on the water , the more stable the boat for the new RC boater....

Every time we talked about the new boat we called it a JAP boat , not in the derogatory sense, but strictly to differentiate

the design of our boat from the traditional North American rigger when we were discussing design possibilities...

David and I laughed about the acronym of the Japanese style boat could be called Jackass Performance.....hence JAP....

As I recall Initially Joe Petro , David and I were on a conference call talking about Joe producing the .12 boat kit for sale and Joe said I can't be calling it a JAP boat....

Joe said he had a lot of Japanese customers and that just would not be cool....

Within 5 seconds David said lets call it JAE....Jackass Engineering......hence JAE

Remember this boat was not designed with the "RACER" in mind......The more RC boaters we get on the water the more Racers we will inherit.....

When you can put a reasonably competitive rigger on the water, radio and all ,ready to go for under $500.00 the more modelers will be willing to give it a stab and build the boat....

In no way were we taking a shot at the builders of traditional North American rigger designs.....We were just trying to encouraging RC boating and boat building as a whole.....

Well that's the rest of the JAE story...

Rod Geraghty

Nice History Rodney.

I do have a couple of small disagreements.

Having been a full time producer of R/C outrigger race boats since 1986 I have found that your point #1 and point #2

are far from the truth. From my experience only about 5% r/c boaters fit into those points.

Most boaters want a boat that will perform well as designed and not have to change anything.

That said, in all fairness, that number will surely increase when the r/c boaters are presented with flat wood kits where

mods and tweaks can easily be incorporated.

And that's not a bad thing! It is well known that the JEA has improved over the years due to these mods and tweaks of many

different r/c boaters.

Can't wait to hear the "rest of the story". The name.., JAE

Cheers!

Andy
Andrew....LOL

I did take literary license with my percentages
default_tongue.png
but I was just trying to get a point across.....

But you have to admit the JAE has a place in RC boating....

We haven't talked for a long time....I will give you a call soon and we will shoot the sxxt....

Hope all finds you well.....dam I am getting old...lol

Rodney

Great boats and great prices for the kits, the JAE line is very addictive, once I built one, I wanted them all

thanks for the History info, and yes, I think they have been a great promotion for the hobby

The goals you had for the JAE rigger checked off all of the boxes for me. Try and build a wooden kit for the first time, at an economical cost, and then try to get involved in model boat racing. It all worked and I have been racing for 2 seasons now with my JAE 12G4. Along with help from fellow local racers and this forum, the JAE is the reason I am enjoying this exciting hobby so much. Also the boat runs beautiful just by following the instructions which is such a bonus for me. A big thank you to everyone involved in developing the JAE, selling it, and continuing to support the design!

The goals you had for the JAE rigger checked off all of the boxes for me. Try and build a wooden kit for the first time, at an economical cost, and then try to get involved in model boat racing. It all worked and I have been racing for 2 seasons now with my JAE 12G4. Along with help from fellow local racers and this forum, the JAE is the reason I am enjoying this exciting hobby so much. Also the boat runs beautiful just by following the instructions which is such a bonus for me. A big thank you to everyone involved in developing the JAE, selling it, and continuing to support the design!
You have put a great big smile on my face.......
default_biggrin.png
Mission accomplished....

Keep gluing your fingers to the building table.....It is a blast!!!
default_biggrin.png

Rod Geraghty

You have put a great big smile on my face.......
default_biggrin.png
Mission accomplished....

Keep gluing your fingers to the building table.....It is a blast!!!
default_biggrin.png

Rod Geraghty
Rod we have a number of younger boaters here in D2 that have put smiles on all our faces, Brian has done an outstanding job in a short time in the hobby.

Thanks John

I can tell you from first hand experience that Brian has come a very long way in just two years with his JAE and NR12 power.

He ran a 24.279 sec oval and a SAW pass of 3.480 sec. or 64.655 mph last weekend in Flint, those would be very respectable times for any 20 boat!
default_smile.png

Hey Geraghty, How many of the JAE boats have you run
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png
default_tongue.png
Well Walker.....you just had to say it didn't you?...
default_wink.png
default_biggrin.png

Like Paul Harvey... here is the rest of the JAE story and my personal contribution to the JAE effort.....

I am a 100% disabled Vietnam vet..... as it turns out I am full of Agent Orange.....hence the 100% determination by the VA.....

I am not looking for any sympathy it is what it is and that's life.......

I have had serious heart problems since my mid 30's resulting in several heart attacks and open heart surgery twice....

This personal history is necessary to put the JAE irony in context and explain my contribution to the JAE effort...

About 15 years ago Mayo Clinic installed a defibrillator / pacemaker in my chest to regulate my hearts performance ....

In short , I have an "onboard starter".......

This defib / pacemaker in my chest is amazin'....The defib in my chest talks to a box next to my bed and the box talks to a cell phone tower that talks to the Mayo Clinic every night....

About 10 years ago I got my first 2.4 radio.... When I turned it on the first time to bind it the defib in my chest went bug sxxt.....jumped fluttered and all in all very uncomfortable....
default_ohmy.png

Needless to say this event surprised the hell out of me....After many phone calls , emails and research we could not come up with any definitive answer as to why this was happening.

I then concluded that turning on 2.4 or any RC radio maybe was not a good idea.....The last thing I wanted was to have the defib knock me to the floor and make me crap my pants....
default_wacko.png

The result of this predicament is I am probably the only JAE boater on the planet that has "never driven a JAE".....

All my JAE experiences have been lived vicariously through the JAE team , phone calls and videos....

About a year ago I had a new updated defib / pacemaker installed by Mayo and to date I have not had the scrotum stones to turn on a 2.4 radio and tempt fate....
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Rod Geraghty

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have all my radios.....I just went and put them on charge and tomorrow I will fire one up and see what I get....
default_wacko.png
default_biggrin.png

Time to crap or get off the pot....

Rod Geraghty

Rod, as one returning the hobby from a long absence and in the slow process of building a JAE 91, I'd like to say thanks to JAE and Zippkits for their products. Not only are the JAE kits affordable, the quality is outstanding. As one used to die cut door skin Dumas kits, the laser cut Zippkits are next level.

Hopefully your new defib/pacemaker has better shielding from radio interference. With the preponderance of 2.4 ghz devices in modern society that's a bit un-nerving!

I still have all my radios.....I just went and put them on charge and tomorrow I will fire one up and see what I get....
default_wacko.png
default_biggrin.png

Time to crap or get off the pot....

Rod Geraghty
Is it worth it Rod? Can or have you contacted the manufacturer of your pm/df to see if its the RF or mag field that could be in play. Didnt they used to warn about micro wave ovens? How about welding? Maybe you could get a faraday suit like some hunters wear to protect you. Just my idle thoughts. Wish you well and think it would be fantastic for you to be able to play again!

Thanks John

Thanks for sharing. It was very informative and funny. Hope the test tomorrow works out well.

Back