StephenLilly

Are radar guns accurate for boat speed?

I paid less then V1,

That was with V1 but have few of the V2 also.

Is version 2 worth the extra $?
What one is better v1 or v2 or are they about the same? Edited by Jimmy Boatright

So as a budget boater, I looked at but laughed at the price of the really nice equipment you all recommended. Went with a quanum mini gps data logger, fits perfect, plugs into the Rx extra channel slot and pretty accurate (drove in my car to test accuracy). I think velocity makes a voltron that's very similar. Paid $50 used, exactly what I needed, thanks for everyone's input.

Hi,

This is the radar gun I use. There were two of us checking speeds of Open gas mono's this weekend The guns varied (+ or - 3 MPH)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radar-Gun-Baseball-Police-mph-Car-Speed-Velocity-Detector-Guage-Reader-LCD-NEW/192590405697?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

In my option a radar gun is a yard stick. If the gun is off by 10 mph it doesn't mater as long as its always off by 10 mph your using it to see if what you changed worked or not. I have been rely happy with the radar gun above.

Mike

A good way to "standardize" the angle error is to mount it on a tripod to shoot the transom and run straight down the front chute.

The angle is the same every time.

The actual speed depends on the cosine of the angle, here's a calculator: https://copradar.com/chapts/chapt2/ch2d1.html

f2d1d5.png

Edited by Terry Keeley