JAE 21GT Build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inside of the tub is sealed with its first coat of resin. Same for the inside of the ski and misc parts. Just glued up the sponson sides tonight. Great kit, it’s going well.IMG_8739.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A suggestion: I built the 21gt which was

My 3rd JAE. First of original plans, 2nd 21 kit

The 21 gt has been the MOST DIFFICULT for ME to get the Performance I got from the Standard 21 JAE kit

Friday testing will determine which one goes to Charleston

With that all said I would attach the SKI WITH double sided tape that is used to attach chrome strips to a car. You can get at most car store, NAPA ADVANCED AUTO PARTS

It is a 3 M product

I glued mine and the ski angle was not right

I had to put more angle on the ski to get the rear end up to get the boat level

BTW I built a single 101 and a twin 101 and had to change the skis on both boats after they were

Glued on. The twin 101 skis are attached with tape now

The single 101 was placed on the mill milled to get what we wanted and recapped

So good luck with the project

The 21 gt has been the MOST DIFFICULT for ME to get the Performance I got from the Standard 21 JAE kit

With that all said I would attach the SKI WITH double sided tape that is used to attach chrome strips to a car. You can get at most car store, NAPA ADVANCED AUTO PARTS

It is a 3 M product

BTW I built a single 101 and a twin 101 and had to change the skis on both boats after they were

So it wasn't just me. I now know of 6 people that have had to do this. Don't know why people can't just admit its a design flaw.
And now I'm going to grab a bag of popcorn and see where this go's

Last edited by a moderator:
Every JAE that has ever been designed has had the bottom sitting dead parrallel with the water when sitting on the sponsons and ski on the table....

I have no idea what has happened but remember this when you build a JAE...

I will be releasing a diatribe on JAE's sometime later today or tomorrow after I get done with a ton of doctors appointments.....

Name me the six people....

Rod Geraghty

It is a 3 M product

So it wasn't just me. I now know of 6 people that have had to do this. Don't know why people can't just admit its a design flaw.

And now I'm going to grab a bag of popcorn and see where this go's

Hey Rod, mine was not the height and/or depth of the ski,

But the angle of attach

Also I use the kit parts as a template and build the boat out of other materials SO I COULD GET THE PART OUT OF WHACK.

My point is if you use the tape method to attach the ski it is a lot easier changing what ever needs to be changed with the ski versus gluing it on

FOR ME the ski is the most critical part of the boat to get right

Hey Rod, mine was not the height and/or depth of the ski,

But the angle of attach

Also I use the kit parts as a template and build the boat out of other materials SO I COULD GET THE PART OUT OF WHACK.

My point is if you use the tape method to attach the ski it is a lot easier changing what ever needs to be changed with the ski versus gluing it on

FOR ME the ski is the most critical part of the boat to get right
Thanks Doc for the info....We will investigate this....the tape is a great idea for testing and tuning...you are a good racer and I appreciate your comments..

I am going a post on the short history of JAE....

The AOA is the problem that I and others that I'm not mentioning had. I'm not trying to start problems or war's. I'm just stating what I and others have experienced. I'm not bashing the boat I love my 20 and I'm currently finishing my 40. With that said my gt sponsons are way different then the original sponsons. I totally understand changing things to help the boat at higher speeds. However I took all the guts out of my original JAE CMB BETA AND ZIP PIPE that were working perfectly fine and competitive and transferred them to the gt and tried for days to get it to go and only got it to go once. Don't get me wrong when it did it scared the **** out of me I wasn't expecting the speed. But it was a miracle to get it to happen. So Larry Beals and I looked at it and looked at it and realized that the boat had a different AOA so got the original boat out and set them side by side and sure enough there's the difference. So the next day I called Joe and even showed him a video of it running really wet and he said that it looked good. So the next day I tested again and got the same results. But this time I brought the original sponsons and put them on and bingo it hit the water and took off. It did not get to the top speed that it did that one time with the gt sponsons but I could get the boat up and then mill and get back up again. So in my experience it was in fact the sponsons. I am now running a novarossi DD and will be testing the gt sponsons again.

Thanks

Justin

Put the original sponsons back on it or get the originals from Joe.

With that said lets let Christopher have his build tread back.

I want to see more pics of his build.

Put the original sponsons back on it or get the originals from Joe.

With that said lets let Christopher have his build tread back.

I want to see more pics of his build.
This is information he needs to know. Especially as a first time nitro boater. I'm pretty sure this forum is for helping boaters.

I had to change the AOA to 4 degrees on the front sponsons to get the boat to consistently launch. Never got around to adjusting the ski AOA. Also make sure the AOA on the right sponson is a couple tenths of a degree more to help with the boat tracking straight.

I sincerely thank everybody for their input.....This is for the growth of RC boating....

The more RC boaters we can get on the water , the more "RACERS" we will gain....

Rod Geraghty

Yes I also set the fronts to 4 degrees

I have Delrin adjuster blocks on my rear boom tubes to easily adjust the AOA

BTW the twin has front boom and rear boom tube adjuster blocks

Back