THE BEAST!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwilfong

OK so it has bin a little boring around here lately as I check in to see whats up from time to time.

Lots of talk about the same old well you know what.

SO lets spice it up some........................................
default_biggrin.png

I have had this project siting now on the shelf for about 4 years now. Took a break to restore a Hydrostream Vector.

But have a itch to get back to RC boating lately as the Vector is at a good point and reliable now.

So here we go.................

The BEAST OPS big block eng with the 1.20 P/L in it. Comes in at 1.27 CID

Now it looks good so far and can use almost all stock parts to build this thing.

The biggest thing is boring out the jug for acceptance of the 1.258 boar piston and liner from the 1.20 eng.

Also the milling of the jug to get the hight of the liner as needed with the rod used.

I am doing the mock up with a RPM Picco .80 rod but will use a new style OPS big block rod with needles and the top end bushed for the final set up. Andy Brown will do the rod prep for this eng set up.

The 1.20 piston pin is smaller than the big block 90 pin.

Will post pic as I go and show the build up details.

Also have a BIG carb to use on this eng. (no Danny you did not get the big one).

Will also make up a set of ceramic full complement bearing for the crank to ride on.

Well here we go again.....................................................GOD SAVE US........................................
default_unsure.png

O and wait till you all see what Andy is building for me to put it in...........................
default_cool.png

Time to raise the bar........keep your eyes open there is lots more to come.
default_ph34r.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi David

Welcome back! Whats the recent history of that version OPS cranks? We broke a few of the first black head cranks and thats about the time Ron Logghe and I stopped running back in the early 90s. Just wondering, I sold what I had left to Charlie Siler, he ran the black heads in his evil twin, never heard of any failures from him.

Thanks John

DSCN3916.JPG

So this is what I pulled out of the box on the shelf.

Bin a long time so have to get my head back in it.

I will spend some time on the case first. The jug is already done.

Want to stuff the case and try and improve the flow some. It is just a square box with square slots in it stock.

This will not work for me. So next steep DEVCON to the rescue.

Now I know this stuff works and will stay put. I used it in my Merc 2.5 to stuff the case.

DSCN3918.JPGDSCN3919.JPGDSCN3920.JPG

You can see how much was cut down to get this sleeve inline and have some hang out the bottom to center the jug in the block. May need a little shimming depending on what rod I use. the OPS rod is longer than the Picco RPM rod.

DSCN3921.JPG

Also I am using the older silver head jug as it has more meat to open up the ports in it. The fins on the black one limit how big you can go with the ports.

Hi David

Welcome back! Whats the recent history of that version OPS cranks? We broke a few of the first black head cranks and thats about the time Ron Logghe and I stopped running back in the early 90s. Just wondering, I sold what I had left to Charlie Siler, he ran the black heads in his evil twin, never heard of any failures from him.

Thanks John
John I have never run OPS black head eng before so can't say one way or the other.

Guess we will find out ...........................
default_unsure.png

Hi David

Thanks John
I have had a couple of cranks crack at the pin but I caught it before I had any catastrophic failures. The most damage was from a balance weight came loose and started cutting a rod in half. Dave at got Nitro got OPS to warranty the crank and rod but it took some time. Super cool Dave glad to see you back at it. Just want to say even modded these motors have been really reliable.Charlie

AE54FD1A-49B3-4C27-BDB9-52190CE749B4.jpeg

Hi David

Thanks John
I have had a couple of cranks crack at the pin but I caught it before I had any catastrophic failures. The most damage was from a balance weight came loose and started cutting a rod in half. Dave at got Nitro got OPS to warranty the crank and rod but it took some time. Super cool Dave glad to see you back at it. Just want to say even modded these motors have been really reliable.Charlie
OMG that is insane.....You caught that just in time.

Have a pic of where the crank pin cracks?

I may be able to take the slugs out after I check the balance. This piston and pin are light for how big thy are.

The Picco rod is light also.

I will take Joe up on the Ti rod I think.

Hi David

Thanks John
OMG that is insane.....You caught that just in time.Have a pic of where the crank pin cracks?

I may be able to take the slugs out after I check the balance. This piston and pin are light for how big thy are.

Its pretty crazy and it was going like a raped ape also. Heres one of the cranks and it to didnt show any signs of anything I found it after inspecting the motor after a hard weekend of running. And I got to say Ive never had a ops 90 totally blow up or the bearings Carrier coming loose is the worst problem!!! Dave what are you running for a head button pipe and header?

046CCC4E-BD59-4BF9-8590-183FBA9E64CB.jpeg

Hi David

Thanks John
OMG that is insane.....You caught that just in time.Have a pic of where the crank pin cracks?

Its pretty crazy and it was going like a raped ape also.

Heres one of the cranks and it to didnt show any signs of anything I found it after inspecting the motor after a hard weekend of running. And I got to say Ive never had a ops 90 totally blow up or the bearings Carrier coming loose is the worst problem!!! Dave what are you running for a head button pipe and header?
I will use the stock header. The AB billet 90/101 pipe will slip over it with just a little spreading of the pipe. It will be set at 10"

I will make my own head button but the stock 1.20 would work with the OD cut down to fit in the square stock head.

I will show details as I build up the top end. Have a little trick stuff I want to do with it.

Hi David

Thanks John

Its pretty crazy and it was going like a raped ape also.Heres one of the cranks and it to didnt show any signs of anything I found it after inspecting the motor after a hard weekend of running. And I got to say Ive never had a ops 90 totally blow up or the bearings Carrier coming loose is the worst problem!!! Dave what are you running for a head button pipe and header?
The crack above the pin is caused by a loose bearing carrier.

It is AMAZING that rod LIVED with 2/3s of the thickness cut out of it.

That pair of OPS 90s turned some wicked rpm in your Evil Twin Charlie!

Hi David

Thanks John

Its pretty crazy and it was going like a raped ape also.Heres one of the cranks and it to didnt show any signs of anything I found it after inspecting the motor after a hard weekend of running. And I got to say Ive never had a ops 90 totally blow up or the bearings Carrier coming loose is the worst problem!!! Dave what are you running for a head button pipe and header?
The crack above the pin is caused by a loose bearing carrier.

It is AMAZING that rod LIVED with 2/3s of the thickness cut out of it.

That pair of OPS 90s turned some wicked rpm in your Evil Twin Charlie!
So as long as the front half of the eng dose not come loose there should be no crank problems.

David are there any cold cycle facilities in your area? We had considered using the cryogenic treatment facilities in the Detroit area to have them run the cranks through their low temperature stabilization process. It worked great on our extrusion dies and gun parts. Just a thought.

Thanks John

David are there any cold cycle facilities in your area? We had considered using the cryogenic treatment facilities in the Detroit area to have them run the cranks through their low temperature stabilization process. It worked great on our extrusion dies and gun parts. Just a thought.

Thanks John
Don't think I will have to go that far.

Is there a paper gasket on the front carrier to block?

If so I will replace it with a bras shim stock gasket. That and some lock tite should keep it all work good.

You will need a 350 V/8 to start it
Well may be....LOL

Going to keep the CR low like 7.2 and the timing high on the ex like 207.

Don't need to stress it so much with that big boar to make power.

Keep the rotating mass light and spool it up...........................................

The piston and pin are the same weight as my 1.01 with the billet piston.

With the Ti rod the total rotating mass will be less than my 1.01

It will be less than the stock .90

DSCN3922.JPG billet piston 1.01

DSCN3924.JPGstock piston 1.01

DSCN3923.JPG1.20 piston and RPM alum rod

Big difference in the mass and this is with out the needles for the 1.01 set up.

I am pretty sure the Ti rod will not weigh in much more than the alum one if any.

Think I will go with light and bushed rod.

Back