After the break in of the Picco 80 we tested the boat at our official site despite one of the wrost dry we are facing in years .For the owner its ok and the boat returns to water only for our vintage event that will be held in december..........here the last video.Thanks for watching

Gill

Thanks guys and yes Chris this is our place for heat and saw running despite the low water's level but with the begining of spring and summer coming up we will have the necessary rains to raise water. I would like to mention that we decided to swap the rigid motor mount for a flex one with very few mods,the rest remains original.

Gill

IMG_20180924_0942056450001.jpg

IMG_20180926_160839102.jpg

Edited by gil sonsino

On 11/14/2018 at 3:54 AM, gil sonsino said:

we decided to swap the rigid motor mount for a flex one with very few mods,the rest remains original

interesting, I'm curious to see how the flex-mount works out for you guys. With this style of outrigger it was not un-common to experience engine crankcase failure. Due to the fact that the aluminum "wing ding" supports transfer stress from the sponsons directly to the engine mount, which in turn flex the engine mount pads (like a "lever"), resulting in potential cracked crankcase. Especially with the torque exhibited on the bigger engine displacement (.67 to .80). Consequently Prather produced aluminum reinforcement plates to prevent motor mount flex (they also produced pre-fabricated aluminum plates welded onto Octura Swift Switch style mounts).

But I'm thinking, using the popular rubber isolated mount (like you show) may allow the sponson supports to flex, but not torque the engine mounting pads.    If this works successfully for you I may switch my rigid mount for a flex mount too.

Edited by David Bryant

Why does everyone think they need to tell everyone how to do there boats I think gil knows what needs to be done that boat is not going to break the sound barrier they are just having fun with a old vintage rigger not trying to be mean but come on guys

All in fun- constructive input. A natural response.

The epoxy-glass construction is noticeably very light weight and, consequently, very pliable (flexible).

Edited by David Bryant

21 hours ago, brad nichols said:

I think that the sponsons are going to beVibratingto the point of the crankcase fails or the hull will. You need the support and tie the boom together. Maybe a boxed aluminum tube?

yes, the hull will flex, it may need some form of a bulkhead (plywood or aluminum, etc.,...) 

Guys after replaced the motor mount we did noticed some minor flex (torsion) in the hull but definetely nothing serious to get in trouble,that video is  with the flex motor mount and the boat ran very smooth I can testify that no reinforcements are needed. 

Gill