Carbon fiber radio interference?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lutz

Supporting Member
I have heard of carbon giving radio interference. Never checked into it. As far as running carbon fiber radio box lids on a rigger, has anyone on here ever had a problem from using it? I would not think so with the antenna exposed . But would like to hear from people who have tried it. Thanks, Jeff Lutz

Hi Jeff, most of my boats are at least part carbon, including the radio box lid, and I’ve nerve had a problem with the exposed antenna.

Hope to see you at Blue Lake again sometime!!

GQ

The only issue I had with a carbon boat was solved by extending the antenna through the hull. Otherwise all my 2.4 radios work fine with the antenna enclosed in the radio box. I would probably run an exposed antenna if really long range was needed like at SAW events.

Lohring Miller

The only part of the 2.4ghz antenna that sees a signal is the 1" ish at the end that is not covered by the shielding. Basically small coax cable.

Hi Jeff, most of my boats are at least part carbon, including the radio box lid, and I’ve nerve had a problem with the exposed antenna.

Hope to see you at Blue Lake again sometime!!

GQ
. Thanks for the info. A friend lost radio at the Nats, he thinks it’s for other reasons, but that is good to hear. He had carbon lids, it makes you wonder. I’m back to making some races, and I hope to make blue lake again also! Thanks for what you do there, Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I run carbon radio box lids on both oval and SAW boats

Without an issue, but do run aerial extended out.

Regards Aaron

I had a carbon fiber cowl on my 47 seaducer and the antenna tube had to be through the hole in the cowl, if it was under the cowl you had issues

If your running Futaba Fasst with R603FS it has two antenna's. One is inside the receiver. They both need to be working equally for best range.

If you have carbon lid or cowl it is best to open and remove the internal antenna and unplug it from the receiver and buy a second wired one to put in it's place and run them both above the carbon.

This mod increases range considerably even if you are not using carbon anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your running Futaba Fasst with R603FS it has two antenna's. One is inside the receiver. They both need to be working equally for best range.

If you have carbon lid or cowl it is best to open and remove the internal antenna and unplug it from the receiver and buy a second wired one to put in it's place and run them both above the carbon.

This mod increases range considerably even if you are not using carbon anywhere.
Thanks for that info Daniel.

This is an interesting topic as I too have asked this question. I don't seem to have any issues with my receivers inside a mostly carbon fiber radio box. I am going to build an entire sealed box of carbon and do some range testing. I will report the results back.

I can save you from the work.. it will not provide satisfactory range.

Grim
Grim is right. I’ll add to these comments with one of my experiences. I have a CF cowl on my T Boat. A few years ago at the Nats I forgot to push the extended antenna of my Futaba FASST Receiver through the little hole in the cowl. Yep, fail safe kicked in on the backstretch and there went any chance of winning that class. Lesson learned.

Last edited by a moderator:

. That’s good info. Where do you normally buy the antennas? Thanks, Jeff

. Where do you buy the antennas? Thanks , Jeff

My first all carbon rigger built for SAW was lost due to the carbon. It was the old antenna system where the whole antenna wire needed to be exposed and I had about six inches exposed above the boat lid. At the time I did not know carbon was an issue. This was about 20 years ago. The boat ran into a gazebo at about 90 to 100 mph and was completely destroyed. I could not find the engine but after much looking found it in a 55 gallon can further down from the gazebo. I know most of us are now using DSM but like Daniel said......one of the two antennas are in the receiver with my Futaba receiver so it is still a risk for good reception if only using one antenna on a carbon hatch.

John

Back