Exhaust Gas Pressure inside Tuned Pipe?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,

Marty Davis and Jim Allen would be able to answer that question.

Good Question,

Mark Sholund

Mike,

Marty Davis and Jim Allen would be able to answer that question.

Good Question,

Mark Sholund
Marty told me many years ago but I wont swear on it but 5 psi stuck in my brain. I see he updated the Winter Nitro Championships info earlier but didnt brows an see this. If Jimmy doesnt pick up on it soon Ill ask Marty and let you know.

Thanks John

Mike,

I haven't measured the pressure in a tuned pipe or magic muffler type pipe of a .21 cuin size engine. However, I have measured the pressure in various types of magic mufflers & tuned pipes used on .40 cuin to 2.0 cuin racing two stroke engines. The measured pressure always varies directly with the engines RPM. In this respect it is different from crankcase pressure which remains almost constant over the engines operating RPM range. Measuring the pressure, at various points in piped systems of either type, has very little effect on the amount measured. I use a zero to 200 inches of water type gage to measure pressures from 2.9 to 3.9 psi at WOT. The reason that a water gage is used is to enable accurate readings of the small amounts & differences in pressure readings that are possible. For example, 2.9 psi = 80 inches of water & 3.9 psi = 110 inches of water. The gage in the photo measures 100 inches of water at its midpoint. I'm presently using tuned pipe pressure with large bore diaphragm type carburetors. This pressurized fuel system works extremely well over the engines operating range.

Jim Allen

P9090001.JPG

Jim,

Thanks for the info. Gets me in the ballpark.

What I am trying to do is figure out what range pressure sensor might be used with an Eagle Tree Data logger equipped with an analog to digital converter board. I want to measure the pipe pressure at wide open throttle and see the effects of a various stinger diameters.

Mike

Okay Mike,

Let us know what you find out. Keep in mind that any tuned pipe or magic muffler type device that has insufficient volume compared to the engine's displacement will "NOT" allow large changes to a stingers ID or length.

JA

Back