• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Options for cordless starter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbhawker

Looking for cordless starter what are my options. Will be starting twin 91 hydro to 21 outboards. Are there starters that you can do both with?

Thanks in advance

Brad Beckner.

Looking for cordless starter what are my options. Will be starting twin 91 hydro to 21 outboards. Are there starters that you can do both with?

Thanks in advance

Brad Beckner.
If your starting 91s better get a Boris

The only problem with the boris or chinese knock offs is no outboards. Unless someone is making an adapter cone for them now? I have a friend here in dist 8 that needs one for outboards. If nothing is available, I might just have to make one or two.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks in advance

Brad Beckner.
If your starting 91s better get a Boris
I use a Sullivan starter with the Finer Edge Design adapter to start my .21's through 1.01's with no issues. I did however need to make another Sullivan starter powered by a 4S Lipo pack to start my CMB 27 Alpha motors.

I just bought the Starter that ZippKits sales and its a nice unit and reversible.

I am using a Boris using 4S for the big gas engines and rubber/cone for gas outboard as well, Sullivan starter with Fine Edge adaptor for smaller engines as it is much lighter. And keeping a Sullivan using 24Volts lead in the shop.

Thats a pretty nice switch. Got all the cross over done for you. Any double pole double throw switch rated at 10a would be fine. Since we are not actually switching threw the contacts with current.

Mike

Thats a pretty nice switch. Got all the cross over done for you. Any double pole double throw switch rated at 10a would be fine. Since we are not actually switching threw the contacts with current.

Mike
So your not switching it under load all the current is still going through the switch.

I think maybe you mean on a wimpy Makita powered Dynatron that will not even start a big nitro or gas engine.. Yes that might work. Only because the battery doesn't have any oomph. A Dynatron on a healthy dose of 24 volt is up over 100 amps under load. Locked rotor is 200+.

But the ATV starter based starters that will start everything these things draw upwards of 75-100 when loaded against a high compression gas engine. I expect those jumpers on that switch would pop like a fuse the first time your locked rotor for even a second where amperage shoots over 200 right now especially using the batteries I sell with mine that have 480 amp on tap.

Best to get a non polarized bullet connector on the starter side that is reversible in the polarized battery connector. Or just use bullets and be careful connecting to your charge leads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back