2018 World Champs final results for Team USA

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Brown

Congratulations to Team USA!

William Shackelford 7.5 Hydro - Bronze metal (3rd place)

Doug Twaits Jr. 27cc (gas) Hydro - Bronze metal (3rd place)

Great accomplishments after racing eight grueling rounds with 8 boat heats.

2018 WC's 7.5 H.jpg

2018 WCs 27cc H.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done fellas! Did they do a run off for second since Buck and Kjell were tied?
default_smile.png

Ok,so Buckshot got the Bronze. I will correct my OP.

Kjell's 16 year old SGX 45 obviously ran the quicker time!

Congrats to everyone on the Podium.

The Gold for Eric Costa of France! Eric and Kjell are the best of the best! To finish a close 3rd behind them is a big deal. Congrats on your podium finish at your first World's William Shackelford!

After the third heat of the 7.5cc cc Hydro Finals, the top three places were a slight lead for first place and 2nd and 3rd places were in a tie.

It was the 4th heat that finally determined the top three places. Erich Costa won the heat with Kjell coming in 2nd and Buckshot coming in 3rd. That is how the final results ended up.

Please note that both Canadians finished will with Doug Sick in 4th place and Kevin Traboulay in 6th place.

Four NAMBA members made it into the 8 person final for 7.5cc Hydro, two French members, one Norwegian and one German.

What is Team USA and Canada impression of European racing? Did they enjoy our way of doing things?

I know you have pretty good experience, Al, but I guess for the rest of the guys it was first time?

I hope more guys from US and Can will show up in the future, it is for sure a great event.

Joern, the experience is always fantastic. It is the people that make the event so important and so much fun.

Of course it is difficult to adjust to the European style of racing. We are used to much more room to run around the turns and to drive down the front straight. Also, the courses in Europe tend to be tighter than in the USA and Canada as there are 8 boat heats in Europe on the course.

The only classes in Europe that closely match the classes in the USA and Canada are the Hydro classes. So, our boats are quite similar to what you run. The difference mainly being the pipes and the resultant noise levels. Of course the additional muffling can change needle settings as well.

However, racing is racing; and the racers in Europe are always hospitable and soon become our very good friends.

Al Hobbs

What is Team USA and Canada impression of European racing? Did they enjoy our way of doing things?

I know you have pretty good experience, Al, but I guess for the rest of the guys it was first time?

I hope more guys from US and Can will show up in the future, it is for sure a great event.
From my experience European racing in second to none. It is the Best!

At the Worlds you have electronic lap counting and timing. Eliminates confusion. Fast time eliminates one-on-one run offs. Professional officials who are not competing in the race. A well structured system of running heats. Very serious, yet respectful competitors. And to top it all off European racers are Top Notch!

It all adds up to the greatest racing experiences that I have participated in.

Latest posts

Back