Q-Spec

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anders-e

What are the rules for Q-spec?

Engine, batterys and boat size.

Thanks

//Anders

As far as the USA goes I don't think there is any national or local rule structure for a "Q" spec class. Maybe the guys down under have this class. That said it would make sense to have a 6S tunnel class with some limitations. I don't think you need any more than a 40X82mm motor with current hulls available. I would support a limited class with a 40X74mm can limit which on 6S could make a class that would perform as well as current .45 nitro motors and not require expensive (over $300) ESC's. Regulating battery MAH's is difficult to enforce and maybe battery weight is better "if" you want more rules. Actually can size, especially on an outboard where it is visible to everyone would make enforcement very easy. Just my 2 cents and wish list.

Mic

I run a Q tunnel in the open class and do quite well with it. I use a cheap 180 SeaKing ESC, Leopard 4082 1600kV motor, and a 6S battery. its a LOT of power, and like Mic said, its about all these tunnels can handle.

im currently also building a Twin Q Powered setup that will run on a 45" hull, and will be raced in the Open class. Just because.
default_smile.png

As far as the USA goes I don't think there is any national or local rule structure for a "Q" spec class. Maybe the guys down under have this class. That said it would make sense to have a 6S tunnel class with some limitations. I don't think you need any more than a 40X82mm motor with current hulls available. I would support a limited class with a 40X74mm can limit which on 6S could make a class that would perform as well as current .45 nitro motors and not require expensive (over $300) ESC's. Regulating battery MAH's is difficult to enforce and maybe battery weight is better "if" you want more rules. Actually can size, especially on an outboard where it is visible to everyone would make enforcement very easy. Just my 2 cents and wish list.

Mic
That equals to our OTE-2 class. Can is limited to 40x80 mm and battery to 6S, Boath length 700-850 mm

I ran mine with a TP4040/1550kv motor boltet on K&B 3,5 leg, ETTI 150A esc, Gens Ace 6S / 5000 mah, and this stuff rocks!!

Joern how do you keep the flex alive with the 3,5 leg?

I´v built a PTI 365 with TP 4050/1570 kv on Tempest 3,5

and I break the flex every run

have just order K&B 7,5 leg.

I have to admit they break sometimes, but not more often than with a 3,5 cc powerhead. Acutally I have more breakage on the 3,5 cc.

They are spinning in a brassliner, and we don`t use very big props. Also running with oil lube

On our K&B`s I`m using flex cables from K&B, Strongarm, Hyperformance, Lawless. Not sure which one of them who is the best.

I tried to order two times from a guy downunder who had a reputation of providing good flexis, but never received any.

I have to admit they break sometimes, but not more often than with a 3,5 cc powerhead. Acutally I have more breakage on the 3,5 cc.

They are spinning in a brassliner, and we don`t use very big props. Also running with oil lube

On our K&B`s I`m using flex cables from K&B, Strongarm, Hyperformance, Lawless. Not sure which one of them who is the best.

I tried to order two times from a guy downunder who had a reputation of providing good flexis, but never received any.
Yeah I can be **** house with sales...lucky I do not accept money prior to sending
default_smile.png

I run my Q setup on a 7.5 lower unit, and have broken one flex shaft in the past 5 years. Just replaced it at my last race.

One thing with FE and a 4 pole motor you have 12 power pulses per revolution vs. a nitro one "big bang" per revolution. Much less stress on a flex shaft. However with power of a 40X74 or 40X82 at 1.5 to over 3 watts I would recommend a .45 size lower. You have more than enough power to offset any minimal water drag. When we were testing for P & Q records we used an OS lower thinking it would go through the water faster and we would accept breaking shafts. Switching to the larger .45 K&B lower we found handing improved immensely and the mid range speed transition was much easier. Having more lower and skeg working under water can be a plus.

Mic

Back