Fuel tank mounting

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddy Benedict

This can go for any brand of tunnel hull, But I have an Aerotech with a CMB 45 on the back of it and would it be beneficial to cut out the tank platform and mount the tank on the bottom of the hull or just mount it on the platform. Mounting the tank on the bottom of the hull would lower the center of gravity but would it cause a problem with fuel draw? A 14oz tank with a small hopper on top of it would just clear the current level of the platform. Every other tunnel I have ran had the tank mounted on top of the platform so I haven't tried anything different.

What do you think?

Buddy

Buddy,

The Aerotech SR-40 was designed to have a 12 or 14 ounce fuel tank sitting on the platform and a 1 or 2 ounce hopper on top of that. Fuel draw is much more important than a low c/g on the outboard type engines (as far as fuel tank location goes) due to the location of the carburetor. Be careful cutting the strength away from the transom area as that model like most made back then relied on the shape of the tank platform to gain strength. If you do decide to drop the primary tank my advice would be not to go all the way to the floor. The lower the tank gets the harder it will be for the carb to lift the fuel.

-Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
Back