saw record upped again today

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyin Rat Sass

I saw (seen) this boat do 124 mph today, backed up with a 123 mph run!!!

:blink: :blink: :eek: :eek: :eek:

sawrecord2.jpg

sawprofile.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOOOOOOO! I had to sneak in over at RRR this morning to check out the buzz in there. The runs so far weren't even with their good motor! Rumor is that the fast runs won't be until late today.

I still love my Nitro, you never hear anyone saying "I love the smell of burning ESC's early in the morning!" :lol:

a wire drive can hold up to that kind of power..... huh i would have never known that. these guys are really teaching us some lessons it seems

The results, stolen from RRR:

m2 hydro - Pat McDonald - 53.93

n2 hydro - Arne Hold - 72.27

o hydro - Matthias Boese - 87.34

p hydro - Matthias Boese - 96.03

q hydro - Tim Higdon - 104.94

s hydro - Mark Grimm - 113.40

t hydro - Joerg Mrkwitschka - 123.49

s sport hydro - Jim Vaughn - 66.02

lsh - Dick Crowe - 52.54

n2 offshore - Brian Buaas - 43.77

p offshore - Jay Turner - 74.30

q offshore - Jay Turner - 73.00

Jeorge was clocked on CHiPs laser radar at 143 MPH at the top end of one run! :eek: Too bad that it did a full-tilt boogie into the shore and launched it about 100 feet. The boat was OK!

BTW for those who can get Inside R/C on the Outdoor Channel, they were there filming for an upcoming show.

Mark Grim is the first person to run officially over 100 MPH in both electric and nitro.

I still love my Nitro, you never hear anyone saying "I love the smell of burning ESC's early in the morning!" :lol:
LOL all you want, but I didn't see a single ESC go up in smoke this weekend - and speeds were a LOT faster than last year. Either the products are much better, or we are learning their limits. Now the only advantage nitro has is longer run times - and noise of course! B)

Jeorge(sic) was clocked on CHiPs laser radar at 143 MPH at the top end of one run! :eek:   Too bad that it did a full-tilt boogie into the shore and launched it about 100 feet. The boat was OK!
No it wasn't okay - but it didn't sink. The hull is not repairable and the ESC was damaged, but the cells and motor are probably alright. It was quite a sight to see it rise over 20 feet into the air before dropping into the lake.

Jay,

So why were the speeds up so much this year? Gains in power-train, ie batteries, ESC's, motors and so on, or the boating related areas like props, hulls, setup etc? Are such gains likely to continue?

Ian.

I spoke with most of the record setters about this, and we were pretty much in agreement that there is no more power available this year compared to last year. The change from NiCads to NiMH cells was a huge step a couple years ago, but this year's cells are virtually identical to last year's. The important changes this year are, in no particular order:

* Better hull designs - less aero drag, more stable, less likely to blow off.

* More reliable ESCs - I don't know of any which burned up unless they got wet.

* Better hull setups - more/better wire drives, knife blade rudders, strut bearings.

* More confidence that we CAN go very very fast so more agressive setups were tried.

* Higher Kv motors - the 6-cell hydro record holder made a 79+ mph pass at what must have been well over 50,000 rpm on the water.

* More testing time prior to the event instead of bringing a brand new boat out - except for the JAGs team which usually runs some untested boats!

* The new timing equipment, which allowed the speed in mph to be called out immediately after each pass. This may seem like a minor difference, but it allowed the racer to decide to abort his second pass if he didn't have a chance at a record. In years past the time in seconds was called out, but the conversion is tough to do in your head while you're turning a 100 mph boat around in a small lake. Fewer "wasted" passes means more attempts to fine tune the setup and less chance of destroying the boat on a "wasted" pass.

Will the gains continue? In the smaller cell classes, particularly the non-riggers, yes. The 24- and 32-cell stick boats are running out of room, it takes a long time to get up to speed and to slow down. Longer lakes with no waves are needed - a real challenge. Will LiPo cells make a big difference? I suspect not at first, as the weight difference is not as large as many imagine, and with the current hulls weight is needed to keep the boats on the water, just like with land speed record cars. Trading aerodynamic down force for weight sacrifices speed. But I am confident that solutions will be found eventually. Safety is an issue - crash a boat at 120 mph and it may burn up before it can be retrieved. :(

Jay,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I had assumed the gains would have mostly come from advances in power. When you say higher Kv motors, what does that mean?

The only pictures I have seen of these boats are the JAGs boats, which seem to be different from conventional outrigger design. Are the other boats like this, or more like conventional designs?

Ian.

Ian, It`s Kilo RPM/volt so if you have a motor that has 3,5KV it means you have 3500rpm/volt and you calculate 1 volt per cell under load.

Anders

Ian, all the rigger records are now held by the JAGs team except for Tim Higdon's Q-Hydro record. Tim's wooden boats differ from the JAGs boats in several respects, see the photo if it shows up. Tim brought four riggers to the event, all looked about the same just different sizes. He held the P-Hydro record at 93 mph most of the weekend but Matthias Boese (JAGs) took it near the end of Sunday with a 96 mph average.

Tim's T-Hydro registered 119 mph on the GPS just before it was destroyed impacting the bank...he never got a chance to get it dialed in. The photo is from last year, but Tim's boats this year looked very similar. He made small but significant changes which increased their performance significantly.

Dick Crowe also ran wooden riggers (12, 18 and 24 cells) and went well over 100 mph several times, he just couldn't back them up.

jayt said:
Ian, all the rigger records are now held by the JAGs team except for Tim Higdon's Q-Hydro record.
73332[/snapback]

.....and the M-2 hydro record.... :lol:

Back