Prop Balancing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_fons

Supporting Member
Folks, a quick question (as if a question can be quick) on balancing a prop.

Did the sharpening first and then balancing of the prop all going good except

the prop keeps going to the horizontal position . What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks.

Fons

I usually check the balance before starting and mark the heavy blade, then sharpen the light blade first removing the least amount of material as possible. Then start on the heavy blade constantly checking the balance, where are now with your prop is that everything that hangs below center is heavy, so the trailing edge of one blade and the leading edge of the other has extra material that needs to be removed to get the prop to balance ie: when the prop is on the balancer and you rotate it, the prop stays where you put it or stops randomly.

Thanks John

So John as I read this when the prop rest in the horizontal

position remove material in on the side that falls forward.

Fons
If the prop is horizontal on the balancer and you site down the shaft half of the prop is above the shaft and half is below. Some people refer to this as hub heavy which it could be for many reasons, one of which is if the hole is off center. The majority of props have holes that are slightly off. Either way to run best and not have excessive shaft bushing wear prop need to be balanced. Some people remove material from the side of the hub that is below the shaft and some remove material as I said earlier from the blades. I should also say that I only remove material from the back of the blade not the face. Feel free to call me if youd like, its sometimes hard to explain this stuff in writing. 586-747-2372 Or call Mark Sholund and order one ready to go.

Thanks John

Fons,

Most Crankshafts, drive shafts,drive dogs, and prop nuts are not balanced.

Try to get them the best that you can.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Mark, in the case of a drive dog, would it be worth putting it on a lathe and shaving it down to be sure it's bored in the center or could the set screw be part of the balance problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,

The whole shaft is a problem with balance.

The drive dog set screw locations and where

you grind or drill for the set screw placement

on the shaft. Like I told Fons just do the best

that you can. 20,000 to 37,000 rpm is quite a

bit at the end of a shaft when you think about

It really.

Enjoy Testing,

Mark Sholund

Back