Not a boat......but its electric

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Hughes

Vendor
The wife calls and says she found an electric razor 175 at good will. No charger and not sure if it works. 15$ I told her to get it. I can fix it. The boys and I took it apart to see whats wrong. Gel cell wont take a charge. So I cut them out and throw in a couple of 3S 2200mah. It comes alive to the tune of about 6 mph. BORING Since the boys were so keen on this scooter, I figure we can make it a father/sons project. Time to make it go faster than that. I told them we could probably use standard RC stuff to upgrade it. I order a thumb throttle. It would not control the ESC I had in the garage so the boys had to use their audrinno controller and write a program for it. Both of them took a robotics/electronics class in the past. They now got to put that to good use for some fun. So we decided to go with a 12S setup. Ordered a motor from Hobby King Turnigy 6374 192KVA. The boys did some calcs to figure out with the stock gearing that came with the scooter, that motor should get it to around 12 MPH. Did some GPS testing with the scooter and the hill at the house (No motor, just freewheel). 25 MPH is just way to crazy for that size scooter. We settled on a projected goal of 18-20. The motor did not fit in the existing frame mount. So I cut it off and switched it to the other side of the frame. Had to make a spindle adapter for the 9 tooth sprocket we had. Thats as far as we have gotten. I ordered some batteries today. Then we can mount up all the electrics and put it back together for some fun.

I have plans to stretch the frame and forks. Cut the deck frame in half and add 6". The forks need stretching to get a 10" wheel in it. Also replace the rear to a 8". Giving it a little more stability. Fun for me and my welder.
default_biggrin.png

I told the wife I was going to spend some money on this. The boys and I are having fun doing this project together. Best money I ever spent. She was also excite to see them get off their computers and doing stuff outside. WIN WIN for us.

I’m miss working on projects with my kids. That’s what I get for letting them grow up and move away...

So you said the stock gearing will get it to 12 mph...how are you going to get to the 18-20?

Awesome project for you guys! Wish I was there to watch!

Tell everyone hi for me,

GQ

Hey Glenn,

Going up on the motor and down on the wheel sprockets. Just need to order the parts. We are at 9/47 now. With the stock wheel a 13/36 will get us to 20. But since I am planning on replacing the rear, I wont have to go that high. Have not done the math yet. Doing it in stages. After we mocked it up and and test ran it on the bench. Looks faster than 12 to me. We shall see. After we get the batteries we will put it all back together for some testing and a little bit of scootering fun.
default_biggrin.png

Tell Donna I said hi and give a hug for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't electrics fun? They are great teaching tools because you can calculate all those factors with high school math. As for gearing, have Mike Bontoft buld one of his quick change gear boxes like the picture. (That might be a little overkill compared to sprockets, though.)

Lohring Miller

IMG_4016.jpg

So cool. I love spending time in the garage with my kids.

I told the wife I was going to spend some money on this. The boys and I are having fun doing this project together. Best money I ever spent. She was also excite to see them get off their computers and doing stuff outside. WIN WIN for us.

Nats are a month away put that away and tune on some boats Says the other Mike

Mike

You need to fab a bearing mount for the other end of that motor shaft. There's going to be a ton of side loading
Thats the plan. Hence the long stub on the shaft. Just have not figure out how I want to do it and make it servicable yet.

Nats are a month away put that away and tune on some boats Says the other Mike
I am good. The 60 hydro just got a new paint job. She was dialed in a few races back. The 21 hydro got a new prop from Brian and is all dialed in from last race. The twin blew a MAC 84 jug last shake down run. I was able to put together another motor from parts. One more shake down run on the 23rd and we are ready. ITS ON. Cant wait.

A couple of days ago the batterys finally showed up. I ordered two 6S hyperion 5Ah 70C packs. They took a month to get here. The only ones in stock were in China. So basically it came on a slow boat from China. LOL They shipped to Belguim then to New York. Sat in customs for a while and then finally on to us. Not sure why they went to Belguim. Was able to put them together and get a few test runs in. ITS SCARY FAST!!! We dont even have full throttle and we are at 25 MPH. Video coming soon. For sure we need to stretch it. Matthew is also working on the programming to make the throttle curve a little more forgiving at first touch. Time to order more parts.

Back