Name that Rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a Water Spider to me too. IIRC Mr. Brousard used solid cedar for sides?
default_huh.png

Original designer of the water spider is Ed Keedy & he didn't call it the water spider,it was a Keedy Boat in the late 70s

That is not a Avenger/Spider. The A/S had the transom recessed which also meant the rudder and strut were also recessed. The plywood sides extended past the transom creating the recess. I am looking at my A/S right now. I think Rick was closer with the Coyote.

Bill Hoch

It was your choice to recess the transom or not. The nose is way to pointy to be a Coyote. What size of avenger are you looking for? I have a few that could use some TLC from 90 on down to 21

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
Brad

Didn't know you could build them either way. Learn something new every day I guess. I built a 60 and a 90 the same way.

Good info.

Bill

looks like pinckert's gator. solid shaft, it seems. the gator was before his coyote, which was copied by roadrunner.

Id call it a early Crapper Water Spyder cowl was more rounded.Avenger cowl was wood all angled with a fake windshield best I remember

That one is a Water Spider for sure.

I used to race them for a number of years.

First ones I had were from Louis Durand out of the New Orleans area back in the early 80's. (this is when I first started boating when I was stationed at Keesler AFB in MS.)

Most every one in that area of the country ran OPS motors from Sharmock. Then Art McMeans started to bring the Picco

motors in to the country back then.

I used to race against Louis, Roger (possum) (can't remember his last name), Shirley (Louis's wife), Art, Don Pinkert, Jim Youngblood, Scott McGuffin, Doc, Gene Taylor and a bunch of other guys.

Notice the hard shaft on the 3rd pic.

Don Wagners Avergers had the recessed transom for mounting a flex shaft strut to keep the prop the same location as the hard shaft boats.

Then Don came out with the Spiderette. It was the Avenger tub with the Spider sponsons. (made his boats more stable and quicker)

Eventually, Don just called them avengers.

The Spiders that I had were the 20 outboard, the 60-90 boat with OS 90RSR ABN (ran like a scalded dog with minor motor tweaks)

a few with Picco 65's and 80's in them,and a few 40 boats.

Sadly, Don lost all the templates/patterns when the big Hurricane hit a few years ago.

Carl

Back