Spreading the word

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraysonTaylor

Supporting Member
I got a link to the AMA site to let your congressmen know you are in support of model aviation. It's up for vote next month. It's quick and easy and I can't believe flying model airplanes could ever be illegal. Even if you don't fly, please support model airplanes! Sorry if this post is off topic, but if model airplanes go, what's next?

Thank you,

Grayson

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2018/04/13/write-congress-now-protect-section-336/

I've seen a lot of threads saying the same thing in another forum and, in a nutshell, it comes down to the AMA home office is panicking. The AMA Executive Committee is trying to force everyone that flies anything R/C into being required to join the AMA. Unlike NAMBA and IMPBA, the AMA is on the verge of financial collapse due to spending an ungodly amount of money on a bloated home office staff, pet EC projects that don't benefit the majority of the members and just plain wasteful spending. Their legal/negotiating team has done little to nothing to prevent Congress and the FAA from putting regulations on anyone that flies R/C due to the uncontrolled nature of the multi-rotor "drones" and proliferation of camera equipped "beyond-line-of-site" RTF aircraft. This isn't going to affect anyone that doesn't fly and really only affects those that fly "illegally", meaning above the altitude limits set by section 336, within restricted flight areas and, in general, those being a menace to others.

336 is a public law, not an FAA regulation, that was passed by congress last year and is set to expire next month. All congress can see is a Phantom 4 flying over their back yard. Let them know there is more to it than that. The AMA has been around way longer than the FAA.

I am glad you have posted this. I hope more take the steps to help preserve our hobbies futures. It has been a long two and half year battle.

Good heads up Grayson. At Aero Precision Machine, Inc. located in Liberty, NC we build the Nelson Q-40 & Q-500 pylon racing engines. Also, one of the best flying fields in the USA is located in Liberty. The field has a paved runway 500 ft long X 75 ft wide & is level within 5/8" from end to end. A three pylon measured course is permanently set up & electronic timing is used for the world class events held there. It would be a shame to lose a flying site such as this.

Jim Allen

Back