Competitive Speeds

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What speed is considered competitive in XLS 27 hydro?

• 60 MPH

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65 MPH

• 70 MPH

• 75 MPH

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 80 MPH

• Total voters

Kurt Tedford

I am interestered in finding out what people think a competitive speed is for heat racing XLS 27 hydro.

Kurt,

I doubt if many XLS 27 Hydros are even running 80 MPH let alone Heat Racing

at that speed. Not too many boats are racing in the 80's consistantly. Are you

thinking of racing again? Good luck with the Str.Aways this weekend. Hope the

2170's can break the record.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Glenn Quarles said:
Kurt, are you going to be able to make it to Valdosta again this year? I sure hope so!
Glenn

72285[/snapback]

I did notice the Speed Week II at the end of the year. We will see how Huntsville goes and if the new boats are ready for December.

Kurt

Most I have run or ran against are in the mid to upper 60s. Mine has done 75 but wont do it very well in heat racing.Im sure there is more there but havent had it long enough to find all the tricks yet.Theres always a difference in running a straight line with noone but you there but mix it up in a group and things can change quick.

shoboat said:
Kurt,
I doubt if many XLS 27 Hydros are even running 80 MPH let alone Heat Racing

at that speed. Not too many boats are racing in the 80's consistantly. Are you

thinking of racing again? Good luck with the Str.Aways this weekend. Hope the

2170's can break the record.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

72284[/snapback]

Sure hope to next year. I have been working on a motor for three years now and I thinks it's ready. Just now getting to the boat building. I have been borrowing boats for the past two years. So we'll see how the winter goes.

Kurt

Kurt Tedford said:
This poll is as clear as mud.
72440[/snapback]

Kurt,

I don't know where you run, but in the Atlanta club we rarely have enough Gas riggers to make a class of their own. Normally we end up running the riggers w/ the sport hydros and cats in "Open Hydro". From what I have seen the 1/2 way compettive riggers are probably in the mid to upper 60's. I have heard guys talking lower to mid 70's, but there is little chance of finishing a 5 boat heat at those speeds.

Later,

Lamar

It really depends where you're competing. :p

At our club races we normally run all the gas hydros, cats and riggers together as open gas hydro. Most of the boats would radar at around 60 mph. A cat usually wins even though some of the sport hydros or riggers may be faster. In my estimate, being much faster than the current low-60's wouldn't improve your chances much.

Of course it's a different story at the Gas Nats.

well, I have seen Dean Werges's gas hydro, One of the very few gas Warloks, I think two were built and he owns them both. run 70 to 72 in heat racing trim. Its been real competitive in F hydro due to its extreme handleing. So that would be the speed I would expect to see if I went racing one. Ken

Though it's not a heat racing boat, our 25cc Quickdraw powered straight line boat went 107 mph on radar last weekend. We'll see how fast it is through the traps at Legg Lake this month.

Lohring Miller

lohring said:
Though it's not a heat racing boat, our 25cc Quickdraw powered straight line boat went 107 mph on radar last weekend.  We'll see how fast it is through the traps at Legg Lake this month.
Lohring Miller

72679[/snapback]

Lohring,

Are you using a fuel pump, we can't get enough fuel delivery for those types of speeds.

The latest Quickdraw "kit" engine has a very different cylinder, a hardened sleeve, a new head button, a backplate with advanced ignition timing, and a Perry pump boosted carb. We ran the new engine with a Perry pump and a modified WYK (barrel type) carb and our last year's Quickdraw pipe.

I expect that heat racing riggers will be in the high 80s to low 90s with this engine. It may take some boat redesign. I'm going to put a rear exhaust Quickdraw in my old Ellison rigger. I'll see how it works.

Lohring Miller

:( Being a NAMBA member I have no idea what engines are allowed in XLS hydro ?

:D The fastest 6 lap "Heat Racing" gas rigger in NAMBA G-1 ...... Thats Factory Gas class and a G260 engine is running on the water with an average speed in the low 50's

The straight line speed high 60's or a tad more on light chop.

That record hull with QD25 only runs @ 4mph faster.

:rolleyes: As stated ..... "Straight away" and "Heat Racing" trim are not close to each other and theirfor to race ovals with other boats and SURVIVE you cannot be looking or tuning for top end.

IMHO. Scott

There are only a very few of the new Quickdraws out. We have the first of the new "kit" engines for our straight-line record boat. The older engine was only slightly more powerful than the latest Zenoah 260. Henry Velasco put a new Quickdraw in his rigger just before the NAMBA Nationals and radared it at 94. The boat didn't hold up and he didn't race it. Tony Grinter had ignition problems with his Quickdraw and couldn't run it in GX1 Hydro. As far as I know none of the new engines were raced last year. We put our straight-line engine in an Aeromarine cat for a few District 8 races, but the boat blew off at part throttle. We had similar problems with monos. This year we should be racing two riggers, an Ellison and an Eagle, with the new Quickdraw. We will be racing in open hydro so the boats will compete with 90 riggers. I expect that the Quickdraw powered boats will be faster.

Lohring Miller

lohring said:
The latest Quickdraw "kit" engine has a very different cylinder, a hardened sleeve, a new head button, a backplate with advanced ignition timing, and a Perry pump boosted carb.  We ran the new engine with a Perry pump and a modified WYK (barrel type) carb and our last year's Quickdraw pipe. 
I expect that heat racing riggers will be in the high 80s to low 90s with this engine.  It may take some boat redesign.  I'm going to put a rear exhaust Quickdraw in my old Ellison rigger.  I'll see how it works.

Lohring Miller

72790[/snapback]

Lohring,

Do you know how many degrees the timing is advanced? We have tried to advance timing by 5 degrees and the engine does not like it at all.

The timing advance was one of the last changes after the porting, carb, and pipe changes. It was first tried with the electronic ignitions and was just tried with the Zenoah ignition. I don't know the exact advance. It mostly helps with power past the peak at 18,000 rpm. Because of propeller limitations, we have had to turn over 20,000 rpm to get the speeds we want. The engine only looses around 1 hp from 18,000 to 20,000 rpm.

We dyno tested ignition advance with the electronic ignition on both the Quickdraw and a Zenoah in the spring and didn't see a clear improvement then. It took the complete package for the ignition timing to help.

Lohring Miller

I was looking for a perry pump to try with our motor, but all of the one I found were for alcohol based fuels. I am assumming these will not work for gas. Any suggestions Lohring?

Back