Course markers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those may be too dense and create boat damage when hit at 50-60 mph. Last forever but can cause damage.

JMHO

Are they though? I can't tell what they are. That's why I was asking. They look like pool noodle.....y kind of stuff. I used to use 5" pool noodles. Not technically legal for a NAMBA course but they were light enough to move and tough enough to not explode on impact. I sure don't want to have boats exploding either. Racing is hard enough on boats.

I'll have to check the IMPBA book for diameter. Don't remember if that's in there or not.

We use pool noodles ziptied together then wrapped with fluorescent duct tape. The center noodle has the eye for the buoy line to the counterweight so if the buoy gets punted you don't lose the line and weights. Just push the center noodle back up the center. If they get too loose then tighten the zipties a little. Cheap and no boat damage. I bought enough noodles to do 16 bouys for $15.

I'm pretty sure those are fairly tough. They wouldn't last long commercial fishing if they were soft enough to do minimal damage when hit with one of our boats.

Terry,

High density foam designed to survive open ocean abuse. They destroy model boats.

I use balloons at my record trials. A couple of years ago I came up with a very simple system to hold the balloons so it only takes a couple seconds to change one.

GQ

A good sub buoy is the key - The next step is an easily changed buoy , The Brandon and Tpa Clubs and most of D-3 used to use buoys Steve Hearl made, they where a blown styrofoam material that wouldn't really hurt a boat and where easily changed, left a lot of pieces to be scooped up - but didn't hurt boats .
default_wink.png
Same type of stuff they do blown columns and arches in new housing. Im thinking they where 16-20 inches wide at the base , I should remember- lord knows I changed a few.

Our Can-Am uses the same system we used at the Northern Nats. A 36" tie wrap is folded and put through the eye of the 7 1/2" crab float and is retained just enough to stay on but can come off freely if hit. Little if any damage even to the small stuff.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll just go back to the 7" crab floats on sash weights. I make the weights out of PVC. Sash slides through a sub. Easy breezy standard stuff. They free float on about 3' of cord. Typically they move if you graze one. Then it re-centers itself. They will explode if you hit them square enough though. I'll never admit how I know that.

Are club tried the inflatable ones and they didn't last long. Most of them were cut and seen one get launch like a soccer ball. We use STYROFOAM Insulation Blue Board cut in circles with a center hole for pvc pipe with a Tee Adapter on top. Stack them 3 or 4 of them high and wrapped them with neon duck tape. Easy on the boats last a good while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back