Nitro mixing jug?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lutz

Supporting Member
Looking to get a new mixing jug for mixing nitro. Would like a top to it and 1 ounce markings on it. Having trouble finding one. Anyone have a source? Thanks, Jeff Lutz

I use a 1000 ml graduated cylinder. No top but I can pour it into a can (through a filter) right away...

Do a Google search if it might work for you

I use a 1000 ml graduated cylinder. No top but I can pour it into a can (through a filter) right away...

Do a Google search if it might work for you
X2. Kently Porter showed me this trick a couple of years ago. Works awesome. I picked mine up off of eBay.

To further explain the "trick" Kentley showed me, use the 1000ml against your mix percentages. For example, if you are running 50% nitro, 13% lubrication, 3% castor, the rest methanol here is your mix, 500ml nitro, 130ml synthetic lube, 30ml castor, top off to 1000ml with your methanol. Pour into a gallon container, shake once or twice, done.

Jeff,

Call John Otto I am sure he can help you out.

I Trust The Testing Is Going Well?

Mark Sholund

Yes, exactly. 3785ml equals one gallon. Just keep mixing and pouring into gallon jugs. as you fill up one start on the second and so on. Concentrate on the 1000ml glass cylinder, not the gallon jugs...
default_wink.png

You will be amazed how fast you can mix a few gallons of fuel.

Yes, exactly. 3785ml equals one gallon. Just keep mixing and pouring into gallon jugs. as you fill up one start on the second and so on. Concentrate on the 1000ml glass cylinder, not the gallon jugs...
default_wink.png

You will be amazed how fast you can mix a few gallons of fuel.
. Ron, I use a different method right now in my dads 55 year old mixing jug from controline speed days. I like a top with threads so you can seal the container and never have to clean it. I may have to do something similar to what you guys are doing. Thanks

Or you can weigh your ingredients. Makes for a very accurate and consistent mix.

Four liters (4000 ml) fills a gallon jug nicely.

The SG of nitro is 1.13, alcohol = 0.79 and oil is very close to 1.0.

Say you wanted 60% with 12% oil:

Nitro: 4000 ml x 0.6 = 2400 ml 2400 ml x 1.13 = 2712 grams

Alcohol: 4000 ml x 0.28 = 1120 ml 1120 ml x 0.79 = 889 grams

Oil: 4000 ml x 0.12 = 480 ml 480 ml x 1.0 = 480 grams

Last edited by a moderator:
How much difference do you think it really makes? Would weight and volume methods be pretty close at standard temperature and pressure? And then maybe differ at high altitude or high heat and humidity??

Here's a random chart from a Google search - the coefficient looks pretty small for methanol, although a big enough temperature change could be significant.

I'm thinking that I would generally mix fuel under somewhat constant temperature conditions.....

Volumetric or Cubical Expansion Coefficients of Liquids.jpg

Or you can weigh your ingredients. Makes for a very accurate and consistent mix.

terry,how would i get 60% nitro and 18% oil? also where is everyone buying PURE Nitro? thanks,mike.

Back in the day or just before Christ left Chicago Ron Logghe and I used a 4 cup pyrex measuring cup to mix 1 Gallon at a time. 1 gallon = 128 oz and you can do the math to calculate the percentages you want. If you can't do the math I'm sure some on here can help.

Thanks, John

How much difference do you think it really makes? Would weight and volume methods be pretty close at standard temperature and pressure? And then maybe differ at high altitude or high heat and humidity??

Here's a random chart from a Google search - the coefficient looks pretty small for methanol, although a big enough temperature change could be significant.

I'm thinking that I would generally mix fuel under somewhat constant temperature conditions.....
. It doesn’t. There are far more important things to be thinking about. I’ve bought numerous drums of nitro over the years. When running out of the same drum, I have mixed fuel in 40 degree weather and later ran that fuel in 90 degree weather and it ran the same as some mixed in 90 degree weather. Checked with a stalker radar. Jeff Lutz

If you mix fuel inside the temperature is stable enough to not effect the SG enough to matter. It's just a more accurate/consistent way to mix, if you use a postal type scale that measures grams you are basically mixing each ingredient to 1 ml accuracy. By looking at the level on a measuring cup or even a 1000 ml cylinder you'll be off at least 10 ml.
default_unsure.png

terry,how would i get 60% nitro and 18% oil? also where is everyone buying PURE Nitro? thanks,mike.

If the nitro is 60% and oil 18% then the alcohol is 22%. Just insert 0.22 and 0.18 above and calculate it out.
default_smile.png

I made a simple excel spreadsheet where you enter in your desired percentage of nitro and oil and it will calculate oz's of nitro, oil and methanol. You can also use it if you want to add oil or nitro to a commercial fuel to find out how much to add to get where you want to go, but it's an iterative process.

4941095932_B2FEFB7A832B24838A437C6CF72BF857.jpg

Back