Anyone recall a 40 SAW design in Model Airplane News in the 80's?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHail

Getting back into modeling has got me in a nostalgic bent.

If I recall correctly there was an article and plans for a 40 size SAW outrigger in MAN in the early/mid 80's. It was an unusual design in that the engine was laid on it's side so that it and the pipe were fully enclosed in the tub, the prototype ran a K&B 7.5cc. The drive line had an S bend and ran on the right side of the hull. If memory serves the sponsons were rather small and solid balsa. I don't recall what the booms were made out of.

Does this design ring a bell with anyone? I don't recall the name of the boat and no luck searching Air age for plans.

Brad,

I think you're right.

Grim, it definitely wasn't a crapshooter. Howard Power did have an article in RCM about his 40 SAW boat that he built using a 20 crapshooter and running a flex cable instead of the solid shaft drive. I want to say it was a picco 45, but it's been too many years.

I think I remember either Marty or Bob Finley building a rigger with the engine on its side at Indy. Not sure it was the one in the magazine. I think the idea was to lower the center of gravity, but I seem to recall the results were not worth the trouble. Perhaps Marty can enlighten us if it was him?

The one I remember had an outboard motor on its side and used the outboard PTO to drive cable. Narrow chord wing between the sponsons. Is this the one you're thinking of? Have the article some where.

Phil, that might be it. It's been over 30 years so I'm sure I have some of the details wrong.

Ed Hughey built a rigger with the engine in its side.....I have a pic in my old gallery... I think.!

Found this photo, interesting setup. One up one down.
default_ohmy.png

post-11872-0-55406500-1467446311.jpg

Found the one I was thinking of . Flying Models issue 3/91. Note offset drive line to allow for outboard (7.5cc) laying on its side. Ran 3 chanel rudder, Throttle and Horizontal Stabiliser.

CB0017P.jpg

Thanks Phil!

That's the one I was thinking of.

Found the one I was thinking of . Flying Models issue 3/91. Note offset drive line to allow for outboard (7.5cc) laying on its side. Ran 3 chanel rudder, Throttle and Horizontal Stabiliser.

CB0017P.jpg

Back