Heads up guys - don't ignore your body!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
It's been an eventful couple of weeks since our Can-Am race.

The Monday evening after I had a partial loss of vision in my right eye for a couple minutes, kinda just looked foggy, felt a little dizzy but fine afterwards. Figured I was just tired from the race. Two days later had another complete vision loss in the same eye and went to emerg later that evening. Diagnosed with TIA's or "mini strokes", apparently the highest risk of a full blown stroke is in the first 48 hrs.

Long story short my right carotid artery was more than 90% blocked in two places, had an emergency operation yesterday and am on the mend. I'm very lucky to be alive.

I just turned 57 and am in good health, had no prior symptoms. Family history of heart attack/stroke but my cholesterol and blood pressure was good. Not enough exercise but not a couch potato either.

If you're lucky enough that your body tries to tell you something, listen!

Post_Op.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a shock Terry! Glad to hear you're doing better! Take care my friend.

Steve Ball

BTW, how well did Jim come out of this?

Wow terry. Hope all is well. I understand where you are at for sure. Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been an eventful couple of weeks since our Can-Am race.

The Monday evening after I had a partial loss of vision in my right eye for a couple minutes, kinda just looked foggy, felt a little dizzy but fine afterwards. Figured I was just tired from the race. Two days later had another complete vision loss in the same eye and went to emerg later that evening. Diagnosed with TIA's or "mini strokes", apparently the highest risk of a full blown stroke is in the first 48 hrs.

Long story short my right carotid artery was more than 90% blocked in two places, had an emergency operation yesterday and am on the mend. I'm very lucky to be alive.

I just turned 57 and am in good health, had no prior symptoms. Family history of heart attack/stroke but my cholesterol and blood pressure was good. Not enough exercise but not a couch potato either.

If you're lucky enough that your body tries to tell you something, listen!

Post_Op.jpg
Best wishes to you in your recovery, Terry.

Tim

Terry...sending prayers for you.

I know what you mean (when not paying attention to your body). Having a rough year as well, not raced in about a year myself.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Terry - we are stunned by this news. We are so glad to know that you are recovering. When will you be going home?

Olly & Rissa

Thanks! Never had an operation and avoid hospitals like the plague so it's a shock to us as well. Just wanted to tell everyone to not ignore little warning signs if you're lucky enough to get them.

Had the operation yesterday morning and am home now, amazing what they can do these days.

Here's what I had if interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carotid_endarterectomy

Terry glad to see you are doing well considering. My uncle had a stroke Thursday and he's not doing so well. Get well soon.

Dave

heart.jpgI feel your pain........................

I woke up July 12 in a cold sweet.and did not feel good. Arms like noodles and hurting. chest felt funny.

Next day thy cracked me open and replaced 4 veins in my heart.

Never seen it coming..................

Go back to work next week.....................

You will be up and around in no time.

Just hard to imagine it laying on your back with hose coming out of ya.

First of all, I am glad that you are home and on the mend! I find that as we get older our friends start having health issues as well as ourselves. We tend to think that these things happen to "other people" and not us. I do not like being in a hospital ( as a patient or to visit one ). It seems to have happened too much in recent years. But I am pleased that there is a happy ending to your story and thank you for sharing it with us. Get well soon and hope to see you at the races sometime soon.

Dick Tyndall

Latest posts

Back