Oil percentage with engine size

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Bastick

Is there still a general rule with oil% on engine size

i.e.

67 size and higher - is 20% oil ok,

45 size - 18%

21 size can be much lower

thanks in advance

Shane

thanks Brad,

excellent, I thought that was going to be the case I just wanted to check, I have never run low oil content's yet , not even in my cars

cheers

Shane

How do you figure out oil percentage when you add extra oil to a gallon of fuel? My example is I have a gallon of 60% nitro that had 15% synthetic oil & 2% castor oil. I added 2 more oz. of castor oil. What is my total oil percentage now? And what percent is castor oil? What is the equation to figure this out?

One gallon is 128 oz. 60% nitro is .60 x 128 =76.8 oz nitro in a gallon, 17% oil is .17 x 128 = 22.1 oz plus 2 more oz is 23.1 oz. Your gallon has 2 oz of oil added so the final volume is no longer 128, but is now 130 so your oil percentage is 23.1 oz divided by 130oz or 23.1/130 = 17.769% your nitro % is 76.8/130 or .59076 or 59%

When I do these kind of calculations I always figure out the oz of each component in the gallon, then work from there.

I made a spreadsheet so you can figure out if you add components it will calculate the resulting percentage of oil, methanol and nitro.

i.e.

45 size - 18%

thanks in advance

Shane

Shane,

The amount of oil that is required will be mainly determined by the type of connecting rod used, if the engine is a larger size. Mechanically sound steel connecting rods in .90 cu in size nitro engines will require no more than 6% to 8% oil content in their fuels while operating in the 30,000 to 32,000 RPM range.

Jim Allen

i.e.

45 size - 18%

thanks in advance

Shane

Shane,

The amount of oil that is required will be mainly determined by the type of connecting rod used, if the engine is a larger size. Mechanically sound steel connecting rods in .90 cu in size nitro engines will require no more than 6% to 8% oil content in their fuels while operating in the 30,000 to 32,000 RPM range.

Jim Allen
you are beating a dead horse jim,i run S&W fuels for years (alum & stell rods) and it is 12%.never an problem. even the Byron's with 16% is more than enough. why people would rather burn more oil instead of more nitro is beyond me??

18 to 20% in everything if you want them to last. imo.

Brad
Not true. A .21 does not need to be slogging thru 18-20% oil and it can actually be detrimental. When I ran .21s my typical blend was 70% nitro and 12% synthetic racing kart oil, something Andy Brown turned me on to years ago. Used to twist the snot out of the MAC .21s with short pipes and never had a bearing problem. The key is the quality of the bearings (I always run Swiss WIBs) good oil AND self control of the remote needle.
default_wink.png

And who sells the illusive WIB bearings? I contacted WIB and they couldn't help in regards to bearings for rc model engines? Didn't even know who sold them? Didn't even think they made them! Also i sent a pm to Andy Brown about best oil one time he never ever responded (busy man i know!!) But saying Kart oil? What Kart oil? Maybe horse n kart oil?

And who sells the illusive WIB bearings? I contacted WIB and they couldn't help in regards to bearings for rc model engines? Didn't even know who sold them? Didn't even think they made them! Also i sent a pm to Andy Brown about best oil one time he never ever responded (busy man i know!!) But saying Kart oil? What Kart oil? Maybe horse n kart oil?
I typically get WIBs from mike Cathey (he's on I/W) but others carry them. This is the oil Andy turned me on to, was my go to oil when it was still cheaper to mix my own heat racing fuel. I still use it for record trials when I mix fuels for that-

oil1.jpg

oil2.jpg

I typically get WIBs from mike Cathey (he's on I/W) but others carry them. This is the oil Andy turned me on to, was my go to oil when it was still cheaper to mix my own heat racing fuel. I still use it for record trials when I mix fuels for that-

I love that oil

Thanks Don i will have look for it! I appreciate the help we have tried many oils in the past. klotz, Motul micro, Castrol M, I spoke to ex world champion solo speedway rider Jason Crump about oils recently and he has a new castor oil he is marketing in Australia for speedway bikes that i tried and it worked well but it's always good to hear what others are using! So thanks again

What's the difference in [CP-07 BLUE & CP-07 GREEN] from morgan?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Morgan blue is the go kart racing all synthetic oil. The green is a combination blend of the blue and castor (2% if I recall correctly) added.

Just a point of interest. In my .21,s  I use 5% oil with  50% nitro and no problems. I use MOBIL JET 2 synthetic oil. It is used in jet turbine engine's in Jumbo jet's and also helicopter engines. I get it from aircraft service centre at local airport.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back