Race Scoring.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffmaturo

For the record I personally do not have a problem with the way IMPBA or NAMBA scores races.

With persistence, I was able to convince my two friends to get involved in boats. We all came from an RC car racing background, and the transition was not a difficult one with proper guidance. After throwing a fit that boat racing does not utilize 30+ year old technology to keep track of a boat race, my friend decided to give racing a try. He did and loved it. His only hang up was how races are scored. He questioned why races were not sorted after each heat and subsequent appropriate points awarded. He feels that those individuals that finish 1st 2nd and 3rd in a 3 boat race unfairly receive the same amount of points those in a heat with more boats.

His theory is this: There are 12 racers with 6 people in each heat. After the race the CD would then resort and better drivers wold race against those of equal skills.

So this came up at a pond that both friends frequent and I was really surprised by the number of boaters that think race scoring is flawed.

Is this the general consensus on IW?

I did not, nor do I think there is a problem with our scoring. It works and I can tell you even with an AMB system coming from cars there were problems......

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not flawed if you do the shootout program. All the fast guys race each other every time after round one.

Its not flawed if you do the shootout program. All the fast guys race each other every time after round one.
It's not flawed even if you don't do a shootout format, been working quite well for a long time.
default_wink.png

For the record I personally do not have a problem with the way IMPBA or NAMBA scores races.

With persistence, I was able to convince my two friends to get involved in boats. We all came from an RC car racing background, and the transition was not a difficult one with proper guidance. After throwing a fit that boat racing does not utilize 30+ year old technology to keep track of a boat race, my friend decided to give racing a try. He did and loved it. His only hang up was how races are scored. He questioned why races where not sorted after each heat and subsequent appropriate points awarded. He feels that those individuals that finish 1st 2nd and 3rd in a 3 boat race unfairly receive the same amount of points those in a heat with more boats.

His theory is this: There are 12 racers with 6 people in each heat. After the race the CD would then resort and better drivers wold race against those of equal skills.

So this came up at a pond that both friends frequent and I was really surprised by the number of boaters that think race scoring is flawed.

I did not, nor do I think there is a problem with our scoring. It works and I can tell you even with an AMB system coming from cars there were problems......
I agree, pre determined "heat sheets" are unfair. Imo shootout format solves this...only the first round is set, and then they are sorted, and racers race against other higher finishing competitors. I've been around and have competed with both formats being used. With heat sheets,,you have one bad round, you're basically screwed. Shootout, you have a legitimate shot at racing back up. Again, just my opinion, but I feel at some point, shootout format should be mandated. It eliminates suggestions of "home cooking", and it promotes better racing.
Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

With persistence, I was able to convince my two friends to get involved in boats. We all came from an RC car racing background, and the transition was not a difficult one with proper guidance. After throwing a fit that boat racing does not utilize 30+ year old technology to keep track of a boat race, my friend decided to give racing a try. He did and loved it. His only hang up was how races are scored. He questioned why races where not sorted after each heat and subsequent appropriate points awarded. He feels that those individuals that finish 1st 2nd and 3rd in a 3 boat race unfairly receive the same amount of points those in a heat with more boats.

I agree, pre determined "heat sheets" are unfair. Imo shootout format solves this...only the first round is set, and then they are sorted, and racers race against other higher finishing competitors. I've been around and have competed with both formats being used. With heat sheets,,you have one bad round, you're basically screwed. Shootout, you have a legitimate shot at racing back up. Again, just my opinion, but I feel at some point, shootout format should be mandated. It eliminates suggestions of "home cooking", and it promotes better racing.
Okay, time to tell you why heat sheets works just as well as shootout formats:

1) Boats can and do flip

2) Nitro engines can quit, electric motors can fry, as can ESCs

3) Water conditions can and do change from heat to heat

4) The "water gods" can be flckle and just reach up and grab a boat

5) To be the first to finish means finishing, something that the fastest, as well as the slowest boats don't always do

Where in any of numbers 1 through 5 does driver's ability come into play? I've seen many times, where a boat and driver have been untouchable all day and lose the final due to a blown plug, fuel draw issues, burned up ESCs or battery packs or just plain old bad luck.

Okay, time to tell you why heat sheets works just as well as shootout formats:1) Boats can and do flip

2) Nitro engines can quit, electric motors can fry, as can ESCs

3) Water conditions can and do change from heat to heat

4) The "water gods" can be flckle and just reach up and grab a boat

5) To be the first to finish means finishing, something that the fastest, as well as the slowest boats don't always do

Where in any of numbers 1 through 5 does driver's ability come into play? I've seen many times, where a boat and driver have been untouchable all day and lose the final due to a blown plug, fuel draw issues, burned up ESCs or battery packs or just plain old bad luck.
Maybe there's some confusion about "shootout"...it doesn't mean a winner take all final, it's the top 6 points boats in the final, with a cumulative points overall, determining the finishing order.

AFAIK the scoring used for R/C boats mimics the scoring system set up by the APBA (General Racing Rule #21.)

RULE 21 • SCORING POINTS

1. No national points shall be awarded unless there are at least three (3) bona fide starters in at least one of the heats of the race, all of whom

must be of the class being run; except in the Unlimited and Offshore categories.

2. Unless otherwise specified, scoring in matches consisting of two or more heats or races shall be by the following method: The winner of the

match shall be determined by the point system, whereby each boat starting and finishing a race of a match will receive as many points as is

indicated in the following table:

ORDER OF FINISH

First ...........................400 Sixth ...........................95 Eleventh.................... 23 Sixteenth...................5

Second .......................300 Seventh .......................71 Twelfth ..................... 17 Seventeenth...............4

Third..........................225 Eighth .........................53 Thirteenth.................. 13 Eighteenth .................3

Fourth ........................169 Ninth...........................40 Fourteenth ................. 10 Nineteenth.................2

Fifth...........................127 Tenth...........................30 Fifteenth...................... 7 Twentieth ..................2

3. In case two or more boats have scored the same number of points for the series, thus establishing a tie, the winner shall be one of the tied boats

with the least elapsed time for both heats

AFAIK the scoring used for R/C boats mimics the scoring system set up by the APBA (General Racing Rule #21.)

RULE 21 • SCORING POINTS

1. No national points shall be awarded unless there are at least three (3) bona fide starters in at least one of the heats of the race, all of whom

must be of the class being run; except in the Unlimited and Offshore categories.

2. Unless otherwise specified, scoring in matches consisting of two or more heats or races shall be by the following method: The winner of the

match shall be determined by the point system, whereby each boat starting and finishing a race of a match will receive as many points as is

indicated in the following table:

ORDER OF FINISH

First ...........................400 Sixth ...........................95 Eleventh.................... 23 Sixteenth...................5

Second .......................300 Seventh .......................71 Twelfth ..................... 17 Seventeenth...............4

Third..........................225 Eighth .........................53 Thirteenth.................. 13 Eighteenth .................3

Fourth ........................169 Ninth...........................40 Fourteenth ................. 10 Nineteenth.................2

Fifth...........................127 Tenth...........................30 Fifteenth...................... 7 Twentieth ..................2

3. In case two or more boats have scored the same number of points for the series, thus establishing a tie, the winner shall be one of the tied boats

with the least elapsed time for both heats
#3 must be on a club by club basis. I have only seen run offs and coin tosses to settle ties. Good to know, thank you.

Back in the day we generally ran only two heats per class at local APBA races, so there were many ties that were settled by time as all heats were timed by the scorers.

NAMBA has records for 6 laps in competition. Would be nice if the first place boat was timed in all heats. Adds more duties for race officials so rarely done. Would give bragging rights the fastest boat in each class, something to shoot for as your dumping half your heats. In a shootout the fastest time could be awarded a spot in the final heat. You will never see a perfect scramble of contestants. Time tells no lies.

Mic

Fastest boat does not always take first place it is the boat that is consistant through all the heats, so the way it is done is the right way to do things

Shootout format (carry points) is the best way to go in my opinion... I also don't like the fact that any race setup on rcracingevents and uses it system to setup the heats can keep randomizing the heats until you don't race someone you don't want to or a "fast guy". Not saying it has been done but it is an option on there...

Nick I agree 100% shootout format is the only way to do it... Better racing, better chances, get to run against the top guys at that particular event, it also promotes not just going out there and cursing around for 6 laps just to get points. If you win a shootout formart either carry the points or not it is more rewarding for the racer knowing you beat the top guys and you pushed your boat to the limit!

Just pick the style of race you like or want to run. Make sure the format is clearly defined on your club's race flyer, so nobody traveling gets surprised. All formats have their unique twist and strategies.

I enjoy the "Main" style which requires a qualifying time (Used in the early years at the Masters Race in INDY) with 3 heats per main. Just need to be able to time boats using a faster method. I think it would be interesting to apply this in an Unlimited Race.

1. Only allow one attempt.

2. Launch your boat.

3. Next time you cross the start line you are being timed for a set of two laps.

4. After the two laps your done...bring it in do not cut the course and stay wide.

The next boat should be ready to launch when the previous boat shuts off.

15 boats might be qualified in 25mins plus retrieval.

In this format, the stepping stones are built into a racer's competitive progression.

MG

These methods are great for the real fast boats what about the consistant boat that finishes every heat and is not the fastest are we forgetting about them

I hope our Aussie timing program can be made more like what I believe the shootout style is you guys are talking about. There have been a few times where there are 2 heats of a class, 3 or 4 rounds of racing and the top 2 never race each other! That is just plain stupid IMO.

Surely it can sort out the top half (if there are 2 heats) then the bottom half into different heats based on overall points...in theory, after 1 or 2 heats everyone will have more fun and the lower guys a chance to actually win heats (not just be the first to finish) against people of a similar skill to them (sort of like have A,, B and C finals/grades in car racing).

Latest posts

Back