Top coating - 100% Hi-Nitro fuel proof?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorgen Andersson

I am in the middle of building three wood riggers for next season.

I wonder what kind of paint and clear you use in order to get it REAL fuel proof with hi nitro content? I read in another tread that Brad Christy and another person were using PPG 2021 clear with good experince. Is this a base+hardener type?

Epoxi or Poly/Urethane type?

Do you use the PPG 2021 in the tank and engine compartment as well?

The paints/clears I have used ealier has not been 100% fuel proof.

Any input on the subject appreciated.

Thanks

Jorgen

Yes the PPG 2021 and 2022 are two part clears with a reducer. It is acrylic urethane, so it's pretty nasty stuff. Be sure to wear a respirator when spraying.

I used the clear in the radio box and engine/tank compartment with good results.

Hope this helps.......

i used a PPG two part urathane paint with no clear and no primer straight on the epoxy it holds fine with 50% fuel.Thanks Nick

Hi Jorgen, I've found (through testing) Acrylic Urethane is the least you want togo

for high nitro proof clear although there are some catylized enamels that will be

OK too but I don't remember what they are. I only have experience with PPG other

than Dupont Imron. The catylized Polyurethane group are the best,,they paint

full sized aircraft with it, so it must be good. Don Ferrette has detailed info on

this subject,,I'm still operating on a can of PPG Concept DCU 2001 polyurethane

clear that I bought four years ago.

Jerry

Jorgan,

The PPG 2021 is (from what I understand) their "top-of-the-line" clear. It is a three part polyurethane, resin, reducer and hardener. It is VERY nasty stuff to work with. A mask is a must, as is a good spray gun. It takes seven days to fully cure, but it is worth the wait. You can actually handle the painted parts within about 12-16 hours, but you really should not start assembling anything until the seven days are up. Dave Roach and I started putting his BlackJack21 together after three days, but we did not tighten anything up until we got to the pond, which was the seventh day (we sprayed on Sunday, and ran it the following Sunday). The stuff is awesome. Last year when we painted my boat was the first time I had ever used it, but Dave had been using it for years. Just as a test, we painted a piece of bare wood when we did the boat and let it set up along with the boat. After it had fully cured, we poured 65% RedMax on it and let it set until it evaporated. The nest day, we wiped off the oil to reveal a perfect paint job (other than the rough texture, due to the bare wood soaking up the clear before it dried). There was no discoloration, no wrinkles, no haze. We even tried scratching it with a fingernail (something you can't noremally do anyway), thinking it may have been softened by the fuel. Nothing. It is quite spendy, though. I paid about $85 for a quart of the resin and the complimenting components. Dave already had a quart mix of it, and we trade off when we paint our boats. We still have well over a quart between us and we've painted 4-5 boats since I bought my paint. It's really not that expensive when you consider how many boats you can cover with a quart mix.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

i use dupont imron and have had no problems with 45% nitro i have poured it on and tried to scratch it with my finger nail and it didnt come off :D

Thank you all for the information. It sounds like the PPG 2021 is the way to go.

Brad: You did mention in another thread that you use neon colors under the PPG2021. Is that a one part paint? Acrylic?

I plan to use Neon red on parts of the boats for visability.

Thanks

Jorgen

Jorgan,

I use House of Color neon yellow and "Shimrin" blue (I call it "Pepsi can blue"). They are urethane based and the PPG 2021 works great with it. The cool thing about these paints (I don't know if other apints are this way or not) is that you can do both color and clear on the same day. In fact, it is required that the clear go on within a half hour to an hour of the final color coat. If you wait too long, the color coat flashes out completely, becomes chalky and the clear will not bond well with it. If you hit this time window, the clear actually bonds with the color coat and will not let go.

BTW, I paint everything with the clear, inside and out.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

Last edited by a moderator:
The PPG 2021 clear is my personal favorite. I use the DFX11 for catalyst which has a between coats time of 5-10 minutes & final coat becomes dust free in 10-15 minutes. It becomes tack free in 45 minutes BUT your taping time is a tad longer, 10 hours. :)

Brad, I don't know where you heard that the clear must go on within a half to one hour after final color coat of House of Kolors but we've shot scale boats with H of K, done decals & cleared using 2021 within 8 hours (the 8 hour window was specified by H of K) that turned out perfect & adhesion was great. B)

The cure time (which is better referred to as repair/recoat time) for 2021 is 3 days not 7. :)

We had problems with Dupont Imron clears yellowing. You don't really notice until you do a repair then try to re-clear. :blink:

Here's some great 2 part polyurethane I've been using for about 15 years now, nothing touches it once it's fully cured. Made in western Canda and quite a bit cheaper than the PPG at about C$43 or US $33 per mixed liter. I mix fluor pigment into the clear for the bright orange I like. ;)

http://www.endura.ca/

Don

Thanks for your information. You suggest the DFX 11 hardener. On the link above they suggest the DCX 61 hardener. Do you know the differencies?

Thanks for all your inputs, I really appreciate your efforts.

Jorgen

Don,

I'm just relaying what the people who sold me the stuff told me:

House of Kolor "neons" and "Shimrin" lines af paint both say in the directions on the side of the can that they require a "top coat" and that it must be applied within the time window I described above. I got it at a local DuPont retailer and they confirmed this as did a store patron who owned a body shop.

The guy at the PPG shop told me that the 2021 will "dry" in a couple of hours, and that it can be handled within about twelve hours and cures in a couple days. He also told me that the paint continues to "interlace" (harden) for up to seven days and that no components should be mounted to any painted surface until that time was up. Again this was confirmed by a patron who happened to be in the store when I ws there, and that happened to use this stuff on a daily basis.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

Brad

I changed to the DFX 11 hardner, You would not believe the drying time difference, way faster. Also shooting H of K paints I have left them sit overnight to wetsand out a mistake and then just shoot the clear over without any problems.

Mike

I've got a question about the DCX61 HARDENER for the 2021 system (or any 2 part urethane clearcoat hardener for that matter.) I was told that this stuff has a shelf life. Like 30 days and that it loses it's "freshness." A paint and body supply house told me this :blink: . Now I don't know if it would degrade enough to matter for our model boat purposes. If the stuff would stay good, I know that I could paint quite a few boats with a 2021 clear system like from the website that tunneldave mentioned. However, I could never have 4 or 5 boats ready to paint in any 30 day period!

This stuff is expensive and costs could really add up fast if I had to keep buying fresh hardener :eek: .

Jorgen,

I got your PM, I just haven't had time to get back to it yet.

As for the blue, not I don't have any pics of it. Your best bet is to got to a local automotive paint supplier that carries HoK products and look through the catalog. They have samples of the actual colors to look at. If this is not an option, then the only thing I can tell you is that it is a very deep, intense blue, similar to a Pepsi can, but not metallic in any way. If this is what you're looking for, then go ahead and order it, I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

Here is what to ask for: House of Kolor "Shimrin" Universal Base Coat, Marine Blue, #SG-110.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

Danny,

I'd say the guy who told you that wsa just trying to boost sales. The PPG 2021 that Dave Roach and I are using is MUCH older than thirty days. Mine is at least two years old and Dave's is older than that. Both batches produce the same perfect results.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

Back