Sign in to follow this  
Jim Allen

new gas pipes under construction

The posted photos are of two new gas pipes for 27 cc & 35 cc engines under construction. Some sections are rolled from .018" sheet steel & some are machined from steel tubes. Tapered sections are generated from a computer program, spot welded & then silver soldered. All sections are silver solder in the final assembly making disassembly for modifications possible.

Jim Allen

post-2129-0-05450300-1485683748_thumb.jpg

post-2129-0-33139400-1485683758_thumb.jpg

post-2129-0-47048300-1485683767_thumb.jpg

Mr Allen...I am not having good luck in my quest to fabricate the new pipe.....I will call you later and see if i can get one of yours for my new 35cc zenoah....I hope that you can part with one for me....cost is not a factor...thanks

John,

I sent you an email because the phone is not working. The slip roller we talked about is still available, but the price is much higher for the exact same model I purchased several years ago.

Precision Slip Roller

WEB%20PR12W3.jpg

The Precision Roller, a long time favorite of the Accucutter® product line, has been significantly upgraded. The rollers are now manufactured from precision ground and polished tool steel, and the gears have been strengthened and fully enclosed for safety. Wire grooves have been added, and convenience items have been incorporated like easy to use knurled knob adjustment screws and a handle to assist in lifting the movable top roller. Stainless steel rollers are available as an option.

The Precision Roller is used to form metal into an infinite variety of rolled shapes. By adjusting its three rollers, different shapes may be made and different thickness materials may be used. The Precision Rollerhas many applications in making custom awards and trophies as well as other industries.

Accucutter® also offers a dedicated Column Maker. Before extruded column blanks, trophy makers formed the columns for their trophies. Many used Accucutter®'s Column Maker. It is an inexpensive, easy to use device that enables you to accurately and repetitively form columns. Five formers are available to make round columns. The material opening is 12" wide. Now the Column Maker is used primarily for special projects, repair of older trophies, and scroll making. The base and formers are purchased separately.

Operator's Manual
An Operator’s Manual is included with the PR12W. A copy of Accucutter®'s "Guide to Basic Trophy Forms" is included with the Column Maker.

PR12W Capacity:
Maximum material thickness is .040". Recommended capacities are: Aluminum - .040"; Half Hard Brass - .030"; and Mild Steel - .020". The wire grooves are for the following wire sizes: .063", .125", and .156"

Column Maker Capacity:
Maximum material thickness is .040". Recommended capacities are: Aluminum - .025"; Half Hard Brass - .020"; and Brass Plated Steel - .015".

Size & Weight:
· Size: 23"L x 6"W x 7"H
· Roller Size: PR12W - 1" Diameter
· Weight: PR12W - 18 lbs.; Column Maker - 10 lbs.

Availability & Ordering
Please check for current availability and delivery. At the time of ordering the Column Maker it is necessary to specify which former or formers you prefer.

Model PR12W, $435.00
Column Maker & Formers, Call

I have also seen one made in China for less than 200.00 but I am sure the quality is not as good as a 500.00 tool...but do you think that the less expensive tool will work for what i am trying to do??

Some more photos of what is done to make a tuned pipe. Tapered sections come from computer generated pieces that are printed out to size. They are then glued to heavy paper, cut & then transferred to the .018" thick cold rolled sheet steel. A slip roller is used to roll the tapered sections. I use a shear to cut straight lines & metal snips to cut curved lines. 050" extra material is added where any straight line joint or curved section is to be spot welded with a Miller resistance welder before silver soldering.

JA

post-2129-0-05294200-1488073691_thumb.jpg

post-2129-0-73487200-1488073702_thumb.jpg

post-2129-0-19341000-1488073713_thumb.jpg

post-2129-0-20605300-1488073723_thumb.jpg

post-2129-0-53446400-1488073733_thumb.jpg

Both tuned pipes in the photo would measure the same length from the side of the piston to the end of the flat section. However their tuned lengths are not the same because the tuned length is measured from the piston face to half of the entire length of the baffle cone. They also have very different total volumes which will determine the maximum length & inside diameter of the stinger section. Stinger length & inside diameter will effect the engines operating temperature. Different baffle cone angles not only effect the total volume of a chamber, but they effect the width & amount of power boost obtainable. Notice that the unpainted chamber does not have a flat flex section in its diffuser, but is tapered from its connection point at the engines header pipe.

Jim Allen

post-2129-0-37122700-1489161081_thumb.jpg

Some more photos of what is done to make a tuned pipe. Tapered sections come from computer generated pieces that are printed out to size. They are then glued to heavy paper, cut & then transferred to the .018" thick cold rolled sheet steel. A slip roller is used to roll the tapered sections. I use a shear to cut straight lines & metal snips to cut curved lines. 050" extra material is added where any straight line joint or curved section is to be spot welded with a Miller resistance welder before silver soldering.[/size]

JA[/size]

Old world craftsmanship from cradle to grave on the part !Keep up the good work !

This is what one of the finished chambers looks like. It will be used in a mono hull with a 35 cc engine by Performance Unlimited. The photo does not show the tuned pipe at its running tuned length! This chamber has two sections in the diffuser compared to three in the latest chambers shown.

JA

post-2129-0-94387100-1489338974_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Allen

The type of simple fixture shown allows not only straight section ID's but also tapered section ID's to be easily machined to the exact length needed. It is held in a collet & repeats within .0005". Tapered sections are then mounted on a tapered mandrel for OD machining. Stinger & head pipe sections are typically .040" thick while other sections in the pipe are .018" to .020" thick. Thick walled, A 513 - type 5 steel tubing DOM (drawn over mandrel), can be purchased in 12" lengths from OnlineMetals.com. The carbon steel tubes have a uniform grain structure which is a seamless consistent structure. They also come in various OD & ID combinations & make it easy to machine any tapered section if the beginning ID & the ending OD are known. A 513 DOM steel tubing welds & silver solders extremely well.

JA

post-2129-0-66492700-1491752538_thumb.jpg

post-2129-0-37472600-1491752550_thumb.jpg

post-2129-0-51635300-1491752568_thumb.jpg

post-2129-0-34151900-1491752583_thumb.jpg

post-2129-0-55149700-1491752692_thumb.jpg

Tuned pipe construction continues with the use of the fixture shown in post #5. The completed pipe shown mounted between centers was silver soldered with Aufhauser Silver Alloy #45 & Nokrode Black soldering flux. Mounting the pipe sections between centers, with interlocking sections, gives a chamber that is straight & true. This flux works with all metals, except aluminum, at both low & high temperatures, (1000* F to 1700* F) without glazing. The paste should be brushed on all areas adjacent to the soldering joint as well as the joint area. After soldering, any flux residue left can be washed off in hot water with a steel wire brush. I clean the inside of the pipe by sand blasting & washing with hot water. In the photo, the center section is made of A 315 Type 5 DOM steel & both ends are # 303 stainless steel. Notice how smooth the silver solder has flowed over both pieces. White silver soldering fluxes will not give this result!

Jim Allen

post-2129-0-76830000-1492703786_thumb.jpg

post-2129-0-05291900-1492703796_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Allen