Eagle SGX-2 45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Fields

I need some help,

I've just bought a bit of a renovation project in the form of one of Andy's new 2014 45 eagles from a fellow racer in the UK. It's going to need a complete strip down, removal and re-install of all the hardware, but I was hoping that some of you guys that have been racing them would share some detailed pictures of your setups, especially looking at engine bay/sponson mounts, but also your radio boxes.

I should hopefully be getting a set of build instructions for it, but it's always nice to see what it should look like.

Thanks in advance,

Marty

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting ready for 2017 season?
I am indeed, just like you it seems
default_wink.png
The 2013 SGX or older, their set up is a bit different.
Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

2014, right then, get your hands on a build sheet will be helpful for exact measurements but the set up is fairly straight forward, put it all

together without the skid fin, place it on a level glass or hard surface and resting on the strut. Place a level near the back, approximately over the back portion of the radio box and bait box. Adjust the strut up and down until you achieve a level attitude, you should find that the rear sponson bottoms are just off the table surface, can't remember the exact measurement but the theory is that when up on plane in the straights the back is up and out of the water thus freeing up your boat and equals greater speed. The older eagles had the strut depth such that the strut bottom was level with the rear sponson bottom or wetter. Do some measurements between hull belly height vs the tail height just ahead of the rear sponsons. General hull bottom depth should be level and/or just slightly higher in the front by a couple of millimetres to provide hull lift but not so much as to mess with your top hull level. Then toy with your front sponson booms to achieve a top surface level. This is where I start with every eagle I've owned and is my is my base line starting position, from here all the testing and fine tuning begins, every boat can be slightly different but not by much, props are key to achieving the sweet spot between lift pitch and final desired running flight. Many 2014 eagles came with a round bottom strut, do yourself a favour and buy and install a flat bottom strut, I haven't owned a single eagle where a round bottom strut has worked, flat bottom struts change everything and for the better. Hope this helps.

Hi Martin I have my 2014 SGX 45 with picco 45R Show pictures of my boat update replaced new flat bottom strut
default_wink.png

Greg or Allen can you elaborate on the types of issues you found caused by a round strut on an SGX 2?
In the 21 size SGX I had trouble with launching and getting it up on plane, in the 45 size you have more torque to assist with launch and getting it up to full flight but it was still a challenge and when cornering the boats butt would sag and allow the tub to shave speed off. Swap out to the flat bottom, all these issues dissappeared. Also, you are able to launch and pull more prop, the flat bottom spreads the water out and allows less prop hub out of the water which translates into higher rpm. Have found this to be the case with all my eagles but even more critical with the 2014 design, number of guys in our club have found the same issue with their eagles.

do yourself a favour and buy and install a flat bottom strut, I haven't owned a single eagle where a round bottom strut has worked, flat bottom struts change everything and for the better
would this also carry over to Eagle SGX-67, SGX-80, and SGX-90 hulls as well?
I've found this to be the case, your dealing with bigger HP and torque but it's all relative when you factor in the weight of the boat. Flat bottom struts have made each of my eagles less sensitive to what prop I use. I've proven it to myself repeatedly and is what has worked for me.

Latest posts

Back