Is this legal for racing?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffmaturo

Traxxas Stability Management Micro Receiver with Fail-Safe Security

Traxxas Stability Management (TSM) makes it possible to experience all the extreme power, speed, and acceleration that was engineered into Traxxas models by making it much easier to control the vehicle on any water condition. Punch it off the line and TSM goes to work sensing the boats’s direction and making steering corrections to provide straight-ahead full-throttle acceleration without fishtailing, spinouts, and loss of control. TSM also works during cornering, first making intuitive corrections to maintain the vehicle’s line, then hammer the throttle earlier in the turn for much faster exit speeds. Traxxas TSM gives all the benefits modern electronic stabilization has to offer without intruding on driving fun or introducing unexpected side effects that can be found on other systems such as drastically reduced turning radius, assistance that times out (quits), throttle restrictions, and an overall disconnected driving feel. Traxxas engineers developed superior tuning algorithms that run on high-speed, precision electronic components to create a system that works invisibly, in the background, without ever limiting throttle. TSM can be fine tuned (or turned off) for different surfaces by simply adjusting the multi-function knob on the TQi transmitter, or by adjusting the slider in the Traxxas Link app. The result is driving faster, with more ease, and having more fun. In fact, the driver may not even realize how much TSM is helping until it is turned off and their driving skills are tested without it! Everything is waterproof and Traxxas-tough as you’d expect. This is performance on a whole new level!

Just curious, Jeff

Hi,

try it , rules say nothing about electronic stabilisation . If you have one ,would be nice to hear about it's preformance .

Maybe you can try something similar from Horizon or other stabilisation systems ,where you must not buy the whole bunch .

Happy Amps Christian

A more common problem is the blow over. I'm sure this system doesn't address that. I would think one of the gyro stabilization systems hooked to an adjustable wing or other airfoil would be more useful. However, we did a lot of testing on rear wing angles with a really big wing. It was hard to see much effect.

Lohring Miller

quarter scale electric3.jpg

A more common problem is the blow over. I'm sure this system doesn't address that. I would think one of the gyro stabilization systems hooked to an adjustable wing or other airfoil would be more useful. However, we did a lot of testing on rear wing angles with a really big wing. It was hard to see much effect.

Lohring Miller

Very interesting, and great looking boat!

attachicon.gif
quarter scale electric3.jpg

Hi,

try it , rules say nothing about electronic stabilisation . If you have one ,would be nice to hear about it's preformance .

Maybe you can try something similar from Horizon or other stabilisation systems ,where you must not buy the whole bunch .

Happy Amps Christian
I may get one just to see if it does anything at all...............I have not heard much feedback about it from anyone.

Hi ,

the traxas system will hold the boat smoth when cornering ,prevent the boat from spin out . Also on the streight the boat will run like secured on a line . This is a haeding hold gyro system that will hold the boat,cat or heli on the way it is actualy running .

There are some of such gyros on the market that can do the job.

@Lohring ,

to prevent the boat from blow over you have first to reduce the lifting aera and the dimension that they have . The wing part of hydroplanes have to much cord lengh so,if angle of attace will change the big problem of a wing in ground effect is that the center of lift will change a lot ,going forward . The Rushian Ekranoplane show how to do by using a wing with high span and short cord lengh and they have a realy big rear wing that is mount very high on the back aero fin with a big V design. You can run this ekranoplane with surface propeller and they will run constant and with no blow over at high speed. .

Second system can be a big gyro wheel inside the hull that will counter the blow over force . Most blow over start by a wave kick to the front sponson . Do a test . Run your boat doing 5 full speed circle on the water same circle after and after on same place . The waves from the boat will start to run in the middle of the circle and when the all hit the middlepoint they will produce a big tsunami kick wave . Run your boat true this wave ,you will see the power of such centerwave that will kick your boat out of race . To prevent sich forcfull kich you can use a gyro wheel that has a servomotor system that will counter this kick by the gyro force , so the boat will reset on the water.

This will not prefent the aerodynamic lift of the hull. For this you need slots or a edge that will ocur a flow demolition so it will radical reduce aero lift of the hull.

see the gyro stabilised motorcycle , http://litmotors.com/c1/, this system but with changed stabilisation axis to hold down the boats nose ,as the boat need not a system that prevent it from falling on the side like the motorcycle.

Happy Amps Christian

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

i do not know when they have written the rules ,but i think it was much early in the 50 or 60tis ?

The first esc with such system come up in the 1990tis by GM racing from Ralf Helbing .Hendesigned such esc for rc-car racing and i try it at this time in boats . It workes well . In rc-cars it was banned after two years of running becaus it's unbeatable preformance .That's history . In this time many controlsystem came up with easy airplane and quad copter flying ,that control all flaps and motor and xwc unknowen .

image.jpeg

Thanks for the pic, looks like a brick! I used to run GM in the 90's in my cars. They were very innovative and worked great!

I experimented with wings on the rear of my hydro with a third channel servo and found the prop to be more effective in setting rear height of the hull. It was only 6 inches wide and one inch in length front to back. But when I put a wing between the sponsons up front with a third channel adjustable wing only 1 inch in length and full length between the sponsons, it made an awesome difference in run attitude. A few degrees one way or the other either lifted the hull up front or put so much down force that the prop blew out of the water. An automatic control with gyro might work, but right now with a light running boat If the nose lifts up I usually cut the throttle a hair and only for a second and give a touch of right rudder for that one second to pull it back down. I am sure some day we will have electronics smarter than us if not already, but for now I like the challange of having to drive the boat.

My guess is it is legal now. But who knows moving forward. I was at a record trial event and while Steve Speas was driving the boat I adjusted the needle valve to a richer setting via the transmitter 3rd channel as the boat approached mid way of the SAW. Shortly thereafter a rule was made that no one other than the driver could touch the transmitter. if we had not set the record nothing probably would have happened to change the rules. So who knows what might happen if this comes to reality and works well.

John

I suspect if it works well and someone starts running one and winning (whether or not it was a factor in the win) they will be looked at closely and quickly banned.

Hi,

electronics do both in the GM esc . you could adjust how much throttle and how much stearing influence .

It 's like in airplane a turn coordinator where you set ,say 20 second for a quater turn and all system will do it and hold the plane leveld .

Happy Amps Christian

If a boat is about to blow over, sitting the ass end is the wrong thing to do. So throttle is a bad idea.

If a boat is about to blow over, sitting the ass end is the wrong thing to do. So throttle is a bad idea.
I will disagree with this statement. If you are able to catch the lift before the point of no return on a blowover throttle control is exactly what you need, however the key word here is control. Both of my FE 1/8th scales had more than enough power to blow them over, the key was getting the hull to the point of lifting most of the hull (where you are the fastest) without going too far and that's called throttle management. Problem is all too often a driver does not react in time to catch a sudden lifting before it goes too far and when it does they usually over react dumping all throttle (panic not control) which only makes it worse when the ass drops. Catching the lift before it gets too far is the key and a gyro may be able to do exactly that.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back