Solder prep?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Brown

What is the best way to remove lacquer from copper wires? Was planning to use paint stripper. Thoughts?

Andy,

It depends on the varnish used. Is it magnet wire or a finer strand cable?

Lacquer thinner may work, but on the good varnishes it will just make a gooey mess. There are specific chemical wire strippers which work very well and minimal elbow grease.

The other technique is mechanical stripping. i.e. wire brush abrasion or sandpaper. This is high elbow grease territory. Although you can try using a Dremel stainless wire brush wheel for motor and battery wire.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/thinners-strippers/8312-conformal-coating-stripper-liquid This may not work on some varnishes.

Tyler

Thanks for the info Tyler.

Neu 1530 motor wires. I started using 600 grit one strand at a time, but thought there must be a better way.

Hi Andy,

the bad way is to use nitric acid ,that worke well ,need lots of water flushing to remove all and need brushing to remove the coating ,but this is than very easy . Sometimes formic acid worke allso ,but not with all coatings . I use most a brass brush with stron brass fibers . Allways brush with this in one direction from the wire to the end . It's a slave job ,need time to do .

The acid need time to and brushing . Do not use a flame to heat the wires as the high temp makes the wires very soft and they will break easy by low mechanical stress . At last aske Steve babee he used a coating that allowe to stick the wire bundle in a solderpond of hot liquide solder and the coating will melt and remove itselfe . For some aplication they use this coating but i think not for motors.

By using brass brush with a dremel allways one way and not to hard pressure and taakkee time . You know slave ..... .

Happy Amps Chris

Forget messing with any chemicals to remove the coating, many things have be tried before with little effect. Over at OSE forum KFXguy simply used his bench grinder with a wire wheel on, this removed all of the coating very quickly indeed & solder tinned easy. I seem to remember he posted a video of the whole job.

Back