The WORLDWIDE Ambassador of Model Boat Racing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rctinman

Hi Folks..

I've spent the last 12 days, in Europe, with the Worldwide Ambassador of model boat racing, and that person's name is, Al Hobbs. I've known Al for many years, and knew he was one of the biggest cheer leaders for model boating here in the States, but after seeing him in action, on a day-to-day basis at the World Championships, I now have the utmost respect for Al, and what he does for model boat racing.

He is one of the most selfless people I know. He provided services and materials to the Canadian team and myself, at no charge to us, just so we could be there. He bought T-shirts, here in the States, took them overseas, and gave them away, just because he knew the racers over there liked them. Al even gave his personal apron to a man, just because he liked it. He didn't give him the shirt off of his back, but it was close enough for me! LOL

I had to pay extra at the airport for my boat case, Al had 3 additional pieces of luggage, filled with items that people wanted, and couldn't get there easily, including a pair of shoes!

Al was there to race also, but just watching him interact and help other boaters from around the world, I got the feeling that he enjoyed that as much, if not more, than racing.

But the biggest thing I've taken away from my time with Al, is how he treats people. He always has a smile and a "Hi" for EVERYONE! Every time we ran into someone he knew, (Al knows a lot of people, LOL) the first thing he did, was introduced me. There is the same mix of personalities around the world, just as we have a few people here in the States, that take our sport/hobby a little too serious, and think being friends with the competition is a bad thing, there's these few everywhere. Instead of writing these people off as a hard case and moving on, (I'm guilty of this) Al works at making these people his friend, whether it takes 2 hours, or 2 years. A life lesson we all could learn from!

So please, the next time you see Al Hobbs at a race, go up, shake his hand, and thank him for what he does in the name of model boat racing. Better yet, post to this thread.

I apologize for being so long winded!

Steve Ball

Last edited by a moderator:
Well put Steve. I don't know Al that well, but from pitting near him in Hobart the last couple of years I would have to concur with everything you said. He is always friendly, never seems to get upset about anything, and is always helpful to everybody. A great all around ambassador of the hobby as you have said and good person.

Thanks for all you do Al!

Both you and Al are great ambassadors to our sport. The years you devoted helping another boater from Europe, even inviting him to stay in your home, is incredible.

Thank you to you both for representing us so eloquently!
default_smile.png

Well put Steve, congrats to you both for representing us. I first met Al in 93 at Namba Nats in Bristol, PA, I have worn a boating apron ever since. Nothing phases the man, always positive attitude and a smile.
default_biggrin.png

Al is a true gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. Wether in first place or a DNF, Al has a smile on his face and is happy to be boating! He is one of those very rare people that puts the needs of others as a very high priority. Thanks Al!!!

I first meet Al at an Edmonton race in about 1988 and he has been what I would call a friend for life!!! He truly is a great promoter of model boating and a great gentleman who use to give out Tosi rolls to the growd for cheering for his boat. He has a great line of parts and engines available for us too!!

Truly a great boater to meet!!

Brad

Al is a outstanding person. I have had the pleasure of knowing him for many years and even been hunting with him a couple of times. The first time I had my dad with me. They do not get any better that him.

Al Hobbs,

I have raced will Al here in Australia and in the USA. Al to me is like the daddy of model boat racing. I remember my first trip to Hobart and walking into the hotel lobby, Al turned around came up shook my hand and said it was so good to see me again. The next day helped putting my boats together.

A true gentleman and one of the best. If all people in this world were like Al we would not need Troops.

I too admire this man. I've know Al Hobbs for the better part of 35 years and always thought highly of him. I have four children ages 10-23 and they all think Al is one of the most genuine people they have ever met. So much so my daughter invited him to her wedding. He is a true and genuine person if ever there was one.

All i can say is Al is the best, known Al for years,a great person and a great friend

John Otto

First met and raced with Al just about 30 years ago, he's absolutely everything you have all said and more. We here in D16 get to see and race with Al on a very regular basis and for that I am so very thankful, the only time he misses one of our races is when we share him with the rest of the world, all of you. At the risk of being a bit of a smooshie banana, when he is not with us, a big part of our racing family is missing and those days are just "off", we're missing one of our brothers. He always brings a smile to my face with some goofy story or ribing for something stupid I did in the last heat. As well as being an incredible wealth of knowledge in the hobby we share, he is as much a kid at heart as when I first met him so many years ago. A one of a kind guy!

Only bone I have to pick with him is that I chased him for years for an apron and he would just tell me I have to earn one and here he is giving them away across the pond, what's up with that?

Well done Al, your a true friend and as the title says an Ambassador!!!!!!

I appreciate all the nice comments. It is not difficult to smile, introduce yourself to someone else, or to offer help when

needed.

Model boating and model boaters have been very good to me for the past 45 years or so. It is a super hobby that attracts some

super people.

I can honestly say that my closest and dearest friends have come through model boat racing.

So, please don't make a big deal over someone that truly enjoys model boats and model boaters.

Al Hobbs

Henry said it all !

Don

I appreciate all the nice comments. It is not difficult to smile, introduce yourself to someone else, or to offer help when

needed.

Model boating and model boaters have been very good to me for the past 45 years or so. It is a super hobby that attracts some

super people.

I can honestly say that my closest and dearest friends have come through model boat racing.

So, please don't make a big deal over someone that truly enjoys model boats and model boaters.

Al Hobbs
Only one person with a bigger smile then Al.
default_ohmy.png

CIMG0546.jpg

Back