Possible 67 Novarossi Outboard

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonShaw

Vendor
Guys,

I for one would really like to see the 67 tunnel classes make a come back in NAMBA and IMPBA, and other model boating organizations around the world. I want to propose to Novarossi that once the 67 DD is finished, to consider adding the second crank with the extended threaded area to accept a flywheel, and PTO to mount to K&B, Lawless, and Hyperperformance lower units. Before I go down this path, I would need to know how many engines we could commit to order initially. It will be a couple of months before the 67 DD is finalized, so in the meantime I wanted to start a thread so we could toss around questions and/or concerns before I approach Novarossi. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Ron

You know that I have made my own Novarossu based .67 outboard. One problem that I encountered was when I stroked the crank, to get .67 cubic inch displacement , I had to deepen the trough in the crankcase to get enough clearance for the rod. It left the case too thin so I had to have the extra weld added on the outside of the case. Also, the rod deflection angle increased to the point that the rod would hit the sleeve.

I can only speak for what I see happening in model tunnel boat racing here on the West Coast and District 8 specifically, but I don't see much, if any, interest in a .67 outboard. Maybe there would be a demand in other areas.

Just my observation.

JD

My only concern is with an option for a larger displacement outboard we will weaken and loose ground in the .45 outboard class. So many people think just buying more horsepower will make them faster. Look at gas classes. Went from 26cc to 28-29 and 30cc's. Just more equipment, classes and expense and minimal gains. .67 today and .80+ next year? Without the OS .21, tunnels would be almost extinct. I would rather see NR make a complete .45 outboard w/lower and muffler to expand a production or superstock class that already has proven hulls in the pipeline. What hull is commercially available today that will hold a heavier, higher HP outboard?

Mic

These are great points guys and the reason I put it out there. If there would not be enough demand, no reason to even go there.

Bob the issues yiu are having nit an issue as this would not be a one off. We are close to having a new 67 engine.

Mic I was thinking about fufilling a class thats already there and does not have any new engines available.

Jerry, maybe one of the reasons the class has little interest is the lack of engines.

These are great points guys and the reason I put it out there. If there would not be enough demand, no reason to even go there.

Bob the issues yiu are having nit an issue as this would not be a one off. We are close to having a new 67 engine.

Mic I was thinking about fufilling a class thats already there and does not have any new engines available.

Jerry, maybe one of the reasons the class has little interest is the lack of engines.

Even when the K&B 11cc & 13cc engines were available, they never attracted the same amount of interest as the 3.5/7.5 classes. It is large investment to justify a new outboard. I just don't see the interest, but again maybe my vision isn't 20-20(which it the reason I wear glasses).

JD

The pti nx400 should hold it .I'm doing one for a .67 k&b I'll let you know next week.ron i would have some interest but as a Christmas to me purchase

20160401_130930.jpg

Thanks guys. Yes that would work Mike. The 455 Thor by Carl Van Houten would be a great choice, as well as Martins Proglass 60 tunnel, Tommy's Leecraft 460, HTB 460, and many others.

Hornet would be a good choice to.
Shane was the hornet the one I raced with your MAC 84(BIG RED)?? If so,that boat is in the top 5 best boats I have EVER driven...

Thank you again for the chance to run BIG RED.
default_smile.png

Shane,

I forgot about the Hornet. Yes, it would be a great choice as well. The .67 class traditionally has been no faster, and in most cases, slower than a great running 40 mod tunnel. This could change things for sure.

I'm not sure where to start this but I would love to see a 67 outboard. (put me in for one )but more importantly I would like to see the finished product. For years we have been running K/B ..and they have been out of business for years now. The redhead was a great attempt to keep the outboard world running but it fell A little short.Until nova Rossi build a lower end and a good prop dog I believe the outboard world is going to disappear. To keep the outboard world going we need a complete package. 21. 45 or 67. If you look around the 21 class is thriving the biggest reason is OS build a finish Engine. And most of you are running out of Lowerend, how do you expect the novelist to get into boating. Henry Nelson's engine is a great engine for The racer but it was never a finished product no carb no PTO no lowerend and no propdog another problem for the racer. A Giant Hurdle for the novice! Ron I'm glad you took nova Rossi marine over because you know what we need and you know the people to make the Products with your help hopefully will be racing outboards for years to come! Andy

Andy/Shawn,

Great points. Unfortunately, I don't think our hobby generates the volume needed to design, create moulds, and a finished Novarossi lower unit. The high end engines such as the 21 KEEP and 46 TOBE, with their expensive tuned cranks and directional porting sleeves, would put the price of a complete 21 or 46 engine at anywhere to $600-700. I believe this was the reason OS used a simple 21 sport engine design for the marine outboard, instead of the higher performance engine such as the 21XZ, for the same reason. My thoughts around this have been to either use the Nova 21 5 or 7 port sport engine, or to use the 21 KEEP with a standard ground non-tuned crank. Both options would make it possible to be at a competitive price point on a complete 21 outboard engine. The same would apply for the 46 TOBE. If I switched the tuned crank out for the less expensive ground crank, I believe the same would apply. These could both be sport engines. Then, if someone wanted to run the mod 21 or 46 class, they would then have a Novarossi lower unit they could purchase. This is great discussion and feedback and I appreciate your input.

The most economic way to produce a new lower unit would be 3D printing. The unit could be made out of plastic or aluminum. Using the K&B 7.5/11 lower unit as a guide, what would you guys like to see changed?

Back