cmb 45 rs evo

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Coppolino

Has anyone been using the new cmb 45 evo engine in a rigger if so are you happy with it, ive been running a hr and need the carb up high thanks

Andrew

I have, so far I am happy with it. I would say it has the same characteristics as the 45RS Red Head as my SGX 14 previously had one in it.

There were a few guys down in Tampa at the Winter Nitro Nats that had them in their outriggers, I'm sure they'll chime in as they probably have more fuel through theirs and can give you more insight.

Thanks Aron, so there's not a great deal of difference between the old red rs and the new one, because I was told the 45 rs wasnt a really good rigger engine at all

This is a 45RS Red Head doing 78MPH consistently in 2014 SGX 45. We did hit 80+ that day, just didn't get a video of it. Full heat trim boat. I did push it even faster with a different pipe set up on a different day.

Like I said I haven't had the time to really test out the motor (RS Evo) as I only ran maybe 10+ times at the race in Tampa. It shows promise, just need to align the stars on setup and it should be a rocket.

I run the RS in my rigger,have for several years. They are made to turn rrr's and will spool to the moon if set up right. I am VERY happy with the performance. I think what deter's people from the RS/EVO is people find them harder to work on them(having to remove wrist pin thru ex port and C clip) and price. I have 6 RS Red Heads and they are bullet proof. With any engine there are pro's and con's/Ford vs Chevy. I would buy what YOU WANT,it is your money.

The RS and Evo Style 45 engine has ALWAYS been a great rigger engine. I ran a CMB 45 Evo (black & gold) in my 45 Eagle in 1994 that consistently ran 80 mph in race trim.

Forgot to mention that I ran the RS motors before getting the new Evo and they too were the cats meeeeeeeeeeow.

If they made an RS style 21 and 67 I'd probably start running 20 and 60 hydro again. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
default_wacko.png
Not many RS EVO ( Gold head) in USA and not talk good or bad less much but Who afford to buy ..
default_ph34r.png
I heard that the RS ( red head ) good strong and better little modded ports than old style (purple head) easy break crankcase

Long story short, VAC has more torque, RS more rpm. Stock VAC will be faster than the RS. Modded RS and VAC run similar speeds,RS likes smaller prop and shorter pipe. This is with lots of testing on my oval record holding boat, both ran 95+ with good looking plugs and no failures after many gallons of fuel. From an expert LOL.

Are the current CMB .45RS EVO, or the .45RS Red Head, significantly stronger/faster than the .45VAC or .45V-5?

(BTW: thanks for answering my question Martin
default_smile.png
)

Long story short, VAC has more torque, RS more rpm. Stock VAC will be faster than the RS. Modded RS and VAC run similar speeds,RS likes smaller prop and shorter pipe. This is with lots of testing on my oval record holding boat, both ran 95+ with good looking plugs and no failures after many gallons of fuel. From an expert LOL.
Martian,

Are you saying that mods will benefit the RS with noticeable results over modding a VAC that will yield little improvement? When you say similar speeds is that what you mean?

Thanks for the hat btw, I won it in the raffle at the Winter Nitro Championships.

Will you share with us the RPM's that you were running the RS?

Meant to add that is with RS EVO , never ran the older RS red head. Not sure what the rpm Was, had no telemetry.

Martian,
Are you saying that mods will benefit the RS with noticeable results over modding a VAC that will yield little improvement? When you say similar speeds is that what you mean?

Thanks for the hat btw, I won it in the raffle at the Winter Nitro Championships.
The reason I believe mods help the RS more is the RS carb is very small. Just making the hole bigger in the RS front housing and using a vac carb is a big improvement for me!

Martian,

using a vac carb is a big improvement for me!
a stock VAC carb?

Thanks guys so with a few mods the rs should be the bomb, I thought so because I have several 91 rs and they are fantastic, now just gotta work out what mods to do to a red head thanks heaps

KRE does a nice carb for the redhead 45 rs , and can modify the backplate bore to suit, he did a couple for me and they are great

CMB 45 RS EVO is a much better engine than the CMB 45RS. Stronger crankshaft and crankpin, and much more torque than the RS. It needs a few tweeks to get the RS rpm's but will pull a big prop in stock form and after some increase in exhaust time area and induction mods it is a rocket.

Back