Lapping compound

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBonahoom

I use Helical AlOx 600 grit and scrub thoroughly afterwards, no problems.
default_smile.png

The guy at Helical Lap did tell me that he thought AlOx compounds would embed in alluminum, but he thought garnet would not embed. (He was not sure though). I see that the stuff Steve uses from McMaster Carr is garnet and it says it is non embedding.

Just a suggestion, try googling " jb bore bright" and "jb bore compound" both are non-imbedding.

A guy that I flew controline airplanes with ( B. B. Brown ) gave me some aluminum oxide compound to lap pistons in cylinders with. You mix it with some air tool oil and lap away. It is for polishing rocks. I don't know what grit it is, but it looks a lot like Tide detergent for washing clothes. Makes a nice paste when mixed with a bit of oil. Works for me.............

Dick Tyndall

I use the Brownells work great.

Just takes some time if you have to do a lot to fit it.

Dad use to play with Clover lapping compound,I do not know if it will stick in the pores of the piston. He also used it for the drum rotor's on the Rossi's we ran back in the day. If I had to guess it did not stick,he would not let that happen to his motor's.
default_smile.png

It depends on how much you want to take off what you use.

If it is a stock P/L set the 1000 should be all you need as you are just truing it up a little.

Now if it is a custom billet piston and it stops before the ex port. Get the 600 or even 400 to start with.

If it is a 20 or 30 percent Si piston get ready to spend some time.

Also get some crocus cloth to polish it up after you lap it to take the haze off to check the fit.

It should slide really smooth and easy and just stop.

Some times you just need to polish it with the cloth first to see where you are at.

A buddy of mine was a Xerox service tec and he gave me some cloth that was used to polish the bearing shafts in the units.

It is the bomb to polish the pistons with. not sure who makes it.

It is like a baby wipe with some kind of grit on it. Do a search and see what you can find. the final finish makes all the difference in how it breaks in.

I can't copy and past on this sight for some reason.

Use the Garnet lapping compound.

Mart Davis turned me on to this......

Last edited by a moderator:
I still use the Clover Compound my Dad bought twenty years ago!! A pint size can will last a life time.. Never had any imbedding issues and it cleans up with a swipe of a rag but proper cleaning is always recommended..

Later!!

Pat

Back