Best 5000mha battery for the buck

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This conversation will ignite many opinions and debates as it comes up often and the battery quality ebbs and flows even within a particular brand. It greatly depends on your amp draw needs, are you racing or just sport running. That said here is what I am using a mix of to race at this point in time. Others have different 'favorites'. I will put them in order of their current rank in my mind, but they are all being used in different boats I race with right now so I like all these.

1. RevoElectrics www.revoelectrix.com (newer on the block, love their charger and the batteries are performing very well for me and another racer at this point)

2. Dinogy www.dinogylipos.com (Many are pleased with these. I have some that are getting a bit puffy, but still perform well and I race with them still, but about done.) Many records set with this maker.

3. Hyperion www.rclipos.com You can get these batteries from a lot of places. High quality, some say the quality may be off a bit, but I have some that are still working great and would certainly be on list still.

There you go, three suggestions....all are up the in the top 10 of great batteries. Just the ones I am personally using right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The better way to ask this question, might be "Tell me what brands of batteries are you currently using in your boats that you oval race with". Pretty crisp way to get away from a technical discussion and best prices conversations and see what people are using to try and win races.

By the way, I am more "chatty" today because I am currently over Arizona in a plane flying back to Houston. WiFi on a plane is great. The good news is the cell phone still does not work on a plane yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
We tested a bunch of them and construction is important. We also found that they way we treat Lipos today has (or should) change from the way they were handled in the past.

MFGs (all of them) will experience the good, bad and ugly of this type of battery design.. Its best to spend a little extra. your getting better cell construction more then anything.

Also. as a rule of thumb if the C rating is high the guys making the labels are too.. over the years we have been able to test to 55C but that's about it.. and when you get a pack that really has that rating.. improper care and you can ruin them in a heart beat.

Grim

Grim. Anything Specific I should know on your comment about how we treat lipo's has changed comment? I generally just put them storage charge and store them in a cool place. I then charge them up the night before race day. Any other tips?

Do all you can to minimize the time from full charge to use.. (minutes if possible)..

Storage... We have found that holding the cells at an one voltage for extended periods of time a tricky deal (any new cells, the last few years).. its best to move the voltage around often.

People hate when I comment about batteries but just be open to what im saying.

Makes me no never mind to me what brand you choose. just be open to the fact cell construction HAS changed over the years and we might not want to treat them the way we could in the past.

Back