Cowling attachment to hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrUnlimited

Hi guys,

It has been a while since I've been here but I have a question. What is the best mounting/locking system for the cowl/cockpit to the hull on a 1/8 scale hydroplane without destroying the scale looks of the hull.

Can someone show me how they have done that to their hull?

If you want to go old school, there's alignment pins and cabinet latches, the push release cam locks or O-rings and hooks/pins. If you want to go "high tech", many are using magnets or magnets and plates attached to the cowl and hull. If you're building an older style boat that has an exposed dummy engine, you can always attach mounting brackets and screw the cowl down.

Gotta love it, You guys showed everything I said but a magnet mount. Love that Christophe showed one I forgot about
default_cool.png

just remember, in IMPBA now there is a lost parts rule. If you lose the cowl, u get last place points. So i will always use a lockdown type attachment, not a cabinet latch or magnet

Brian, either John or Fred Olson built a gas scale U-95 a year or two ago, using magnets. With one magnet pair on each corner of the cowl, it took a very hard pull to get the cowl off. If properly done, a magnet retained cowl can actually be MORE SECURE than most of the other ways to used to secure a cowl. The nice part about using magnets is that it doesn't detract from the scale appearance of the boat, the cowl will come off (if hit) with less chance of damage and putting on a cowl is as simple as putting it in place. One FYI for you as well, we've had the lost parts rule here in the northwest for years so our boats are built with that in mind

U-95.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I just set up a boat with cup style rare earth magnets that I got from Joe @ Zipp Kits. I generally use the rare earth magnets north and south together, but these are much stronger and better and they are smaller. I think that they come in 3/8" and 1/2" sizes. The 3/8" are plenty strong.

Bob

Magnets work great for the up and down pull but side to slide they release. I have taken way to many last place points for cowl coming off in scale. Mechanical locks seem to work best in my case.

If you install the magnets above the deck level or below cowl edge level, they can also prevent the cowl from sliding. Alignment pins can also be used to hold the cowl from sliding

Back