SPEKTRUM RADIO OWNERS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOVALTD

Supporting Member
TO ALL SPEKTRUM RC BOAT OWNERS: I am inquiring to all boat racers if you like spectrum radios and if you have had any problems with them? The radios i am interested in are the new 3-4 channel radio. My understanding from Horizon Hobbies is that all SPEKTRUM surface radios are designed for cars and NOT FOR BOATS.The SPEKTRUM 3-4 channel surface radio packages come with two receivers no servos and the receivers can't be used for racing boats. So you must purchase a $80.00 MR3000 receiver for boat racing. Is anybody using these radios with the MR3000 receivers and have any problems? Are they worth the investment? I am aware that JR no longer makes surface radios for cars and boats along with there servos. I am not inquiring about Futaba,Hitec,Airtronics,or Flysky,or JRpropo you all have your brands you like. I am trying to see if the $350.00 SPEKTRUM package plus 4 receivers $320.00 = $670.00 is cost effective for 3 boats to run. Yes one extra receiver for backup and still no servos. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks Dan Mccormick ---NAMBA 221

I've seen enough Spektrum radios lose signal within as little as 100 feet to where I wouldn't use a regular RX with one on water. A guy that I run with has a Spektrum with the Marine RX and it works very well, as solid as anything else out there. I've driven his boat a few times and did an acid test with it, not telling him what I was doing but I took it way out in a lake and not a problem.

Used Spectrum radios with Marine receivers for years no problems. Just always use the marine receivers and you'll have no problems. Dustin

DAN how many times do we have to tell you to buy futaba fasst you wont have problems i wont switch to anything else

I've used a spektrum DX3s for years now with no radio issues. you definitely want to use the marine receivers and place the antennas as the instructions say to, however. 2.4 GHz is short enough wavelength where multipath interference from the signal direct from the transmitter and the one reflected off of the surface of the water can be a problem.

I've been running one for about two years, no problem. I did have to switch to the marine rec. No problems with it.

Before they came out with the marine receiver I would just stay away from the bank as much as possible. The signal will "skip" off the water at shallow angles. As long as I did that...no problems. I insured myself with a fail safe though.

the marine receivers have two antennas, one you are supposed to mount vertically and one horizontally. The wavelength of a 2.4 GHz signal is only about 4" and can bounce off of the surface of the water, so multipath interference can be a problem. Having two antennas in a spatial diversity setup helps ensure the receiver sees a good signal.

We used a Spectrum with a Surface reciever and lost radio. Just get the marine receiver for it and you should be fine.

Futaba Fasst system for me, never any problems.
default_smile.png
:)

OK, so he wants to use Spektrum gear, fine. Yes, I've got Futaba radios but don't feel that they're all that superior to others brands. I've never heard a gripe about Airtronics or Hi-tec's on 2.4 either.

We seemed to do just fine with FM radios but then when the 2.4 Gig craze came, everybody and their brother just had to have one! With everyone going to 2.4 those still using FM's aren't waiting for clips.

OK, so he wants to use Spektrum gear, fine. Yes, I've got Futaba radios but don't feel that they're all that superior to others brands. I've never heard a gripe about Airtronics or Hi-tec's on 2.4 either.

We seemed to do just fine with FM radios but then when the 2.4 Gig craze came, everybody and their brother just had to have one! With everyone going to 2.4 those still using FM's aren't waiting for clips.
the big difference is that 2.4 receivers have no trim potentiometers to go bats**t crazy at the slightest bit of humidity.

Spektrum hasn't been sitting on their hands. The new DSMR frequency agile systems should be a game changer for boaters. Much like other systems that freq hop, now Spektrum will not only freq hop, but also freq spread like they have done with their DSMX in stick radios. What they need now is a DSMR capable MR3000. If you use a DSMR system with the MR3000, you would need to program the trans to send in DSM2, which is spreading only. Maybe somebody from Horizon or Spektrum will come on here and give us some insider help. Would be nice if the MR3000 worked in DSMR mode, or maybe the reg DSMR receivers are good to go in boats????

Last edited by a moderator:
and at the end of the day.. there are none of these questions with Futaba...

Use, Trust, Repeat!

Grimracer

Last edited by a moderator:
Very true Mike and at the end of the day your not buying other recievers to hope they work on your radio Futaba Fasst only way to go

Not everybody can afford a new Futaba system though, like me.LOL Just from my experience with the two marine receivers that they currently sell.

I've had excellent results in all the boats I've put them in for the last 4 years. Whether it was Nitro, gas, or electric zero problems. Dustin

Surely the Spectrum would cost as much after having to buy a $80 marine receiver and I can almost assure you that it will not match the performance of the Futaba Fasst.

A 3 PM-X can be purchased for $160 or thereabouts.

The Spectrum is going to be a expensive mistake when you boat is cremated into the back, somebody elses boat or even a person on the bank.

Futaba Fasst all the way. How much does a new boat cost ?

Latest posts

Back