Turbine Scales.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I just priced one and it's 3,000 dollars just for the engine. Im going to go with Price is just to high.

there are a bunch of german guys that go on OSE that show there turban motored boats...some are twins...amazing

That's crazy. There's already enough up tight people that race in Scale I couldn't imagine how people would act with a 6,000 dollar toy boat.

Guys the marinized JetCat Turbine and gearbox runs about $5500 to $6k. At 1/6 scale a few of the boats exceed NAMBA limits for boat size. At 1/4 scale none would be legal just on size alone. Joe Steimann built a 1/4 scale WInston Eagle a couple of years ago and unfortunately the JetCat package is under powered for 1/4 scale. Joe's boat was 89" long from sponson tip to end of the canoes. Here is Joe's boat from one year ago with a GoPro on board.

I've always wanted to do up a real turbine scale but just can't stomach 5-6K for a driveline that is so fragile. Water and turbines do not always play well together especially when it's miniaturized.
default_blink.png

Joes boat hangs in Mark Twain hobbies in St. Louis impressive to say the least.

If you want a turbine like sound in a model size boat, try electric 1/8 scale. I've had a Wren turboprop kit for years that I thought might be fun in a boat. However, it's 12 hp, a lot more than a model size boat needs.

Lohring Miller

there are a lot of vids on you tube of turban jet planes that catch fire on start up and burn to the tires lol cant imagine putting that much money in something that unstable lol ill take my chances on FE boats ...haven't had the magic smoke come out of one yet lol

There Illegal in IMPBA and NAMBA? Is it because of the weight or power displacement.
In NAMBA the boat class must be listed in the rule book to qualify for liability insurance. Turbines aren't "illegal", just uninsured. Race organizers would need to get outside liability coverage to run turbines and other non rule book classes.

Lohring Miller

I know that there are only a few here in the states, but I am trying to get something going in NAMBA and IMPBA so they can at least set a record. These boats fall under every aspect in both NAMBA and IMPBA, for length, weight and propeller driven. I also know that the jetcat engines are under the CC limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the NAMBA rule book to see what it takes to get a turbine class accepted. A new class needs to be tested and approved in your district. The district director needs to sign off on the rules, and it's then sent to the NAMBA board of directors. They can then submit the rules to the membership for a vote if everything is OK.

Lohring Miller

Latest posts

Back