Marine Brushless Motors high end - which bands to recommend

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Bastick

Hi guys,

just wanting some opinions on which brands of brushless motors at the high end quality side of things to use, in boats such as 21 to 45 size monos and or hydros, I know Castle and hobbywing make reasonable esc's (although castle's are discontinued)

any advice/recommendations are appreciated

thanks in advance

Shane

Nue and Lehner only in that order now day's. The Nue's are 4 pole vs 2 pole for more TQ. coming off the corners.

Neu's and Lehner's are the two popular high end motors. HET is a Neu clone which has been working well for a number of racers. Castle's are OK when the kv and motor size fit your application.

TG

The man's name is Steve NEU, not 'Nue'. Castle is licensed for the Neu-based Casle-branded inrunner motors they sell.

Good quality ESCs are now tough to find. With marine Castles and all Schulze pretty much out of the picture we are left with MGM and "Swordfish". I have experience with the former and they are top end. The latter....not so much, almost all the Swordfish used by club members have failed when used with top end motors (none of them used the newest PRO 200+ or 220+ versions). The ubiquitous T-180 and clones were pretty bulletproof if used sensibly (much better reliability than the comparable Swordfish), but I understand they will no longer be available. Modified Castle ICE and EDGE air controllers are working well for some racers....

Last edited by a moderator:
What can be good for someone can be bad for others so take your time and make a good research of what really will fit in your project.I've been running Neu,Leopard and TPower motors with good results on my riggers and what I have experienced is that a balanced combo can produce terrific results without breaking the bank.Of course Deutch motors are top line quality but with low budget ones you can also have great performance..Agreed 100% on the T-180A they are almost bulletproof when correctly managed....I have some in my saw riggers and never had a single issue. Swordfish are also good mainly the SF 240 with datalogging at a very reasonable cost but can't compete with MGm.My Castle Ice 240 with a Neu 1527 1D have produced awesome topspeed so as you can see the key in my humble opinion is a true balanced combo! Gill

TP POwer motors are nothing to scoff at. Their new line of 4070's are quite robust!! 3rd place in Q-Sport at the FE Nats with a TP Power 4070 motor.....

Most folks realize that winning at the Nats is due to a lot more than just the motor brand. TP motors are, IME at least, a bit better than the Leopards, but HET motors are clearly higher quality and priced between the budget motors and the top-end motors. IME the Castle motors are close to the Neus in quality and performance. Yes they are made in China but Castle owns the factory and controls QA/QC.

Back