Spark arrestor

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Pun

Whenever I plug 8S or more batteries to my ESCs (Castle ICE2 Hv 200 with cap bank) spark will come out and blackened the connectors. And I see on Youtube some guys are using spark arrestors before connecting their batteries directly to the ESC on their big boats which is more pleasant.

Does any one knows where to get these spark arrestors and how to connect with the said ESCs?

Gilbert

As what was passed on to me, that arcing or "spark" helps tell you the capacitors on the ESC are working- strong spark=good thing, weak or no spark=bad thing. What I do on all my 8S & 10S stuff is to run a jumper wire off the negative lead on one of the packs and a matching jumper off the negative battery lead of the ESC. On each end is a cheap automotive style shielded "bullet" connector, one male and one female. Once you've made all your other connections and are ready to "power up" you connect the jumper first and let the cheap 50 cent bullets take the "hit" then connect your good gold plated ends and no arcing. When the bullet connectors start to look really rough after many connections simply cut them off and crimp on a new set. You don't have to worry about soldering them as your good connectors that are soldered on will carry the load. :)

I will say it was kinda funny to see how high Mr. Finch jumped the first time he heard me connect a 10S set up at the pond. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Ray and Don, both are useful solutions.

I have tried Hobbywind 130HV and other 300amp ESCs, they are using resistors for initial connections and there are no sparks, may be I'll try Don's recommendation the next time.

Am tackling my first electric build this winter and this whole spark/ arching talk is a little unnerving, can someone describe what exactly what happens when you connect everything up and that when I do I can know what happens is normal, thanks.

If you have to use them Don's suggestion is the best - cheap and no electronic parts to fail. There is truth to the statement that seeing the spark has value - it is about the only way to know if your caps are failing. If they fail and you continue to run, expect an ESC failure soon afterwards.

Since you know a loud snap is coming (after the first time anyway) it isn't an issue. Don't be a pussy. :p I touch the edges of the ends of the connectors so the arcing does not damage the actual contact surfaces of the connectors. That way a set of connectors can last an entire season without replacement. And as long as you use the same pair of connectors first each time you power up you only need to replace one pair. Don's suggestion does require extra parts, but is pretty fool proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay and Don,

I think you are right, my heart beat faster every time when I plugged in, in the back of mind I thought something was doing wrong, but i am more relieved now after readying what you guys said. Thank you!

Gilbert

Although the 'spark' may tell you caps are working does it also hurt the caps with such a spike of voltage?

Back