What I hate about Model Boats !

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Jacuzzi

I have to be the worlds worst painter. Just got finished with a refinish on a whiplash and the clear just didnt lay down right (TWICE), and it lifted the vinyl underneath so its back to be sanded for a 3rd time, then restriped, then remasked, then hope for a goood day and then paint. By far my least favorite model boat activity. Whats yours ?

The reason I hate painting is knowing that it could all end in turn one . If you are a shelf queen modeler then your finishes must be amazing . For race thrashing , bright , fuel proof works for me . I absolutely can appreciate and worship fine finishes but in my world it just doesn't exist !! See you in turn one ! :D

I once built a rigger out of plastic and g10 just so I would not have to paint it.

Least favorite is sanding and prep and never RUSH a paint job, slow down and take your time. Agree with Fast Foley, KISS, cowl and sponsons for race boats 1 color. Coming from Amateur painter. ;) ....==={}

What I really hate about Model Boats is breaking in Twins takes forever and in the range of 6-7 gallons 179 laps and over 3 hours of non stop running each twin. it freaking sucks. Lucky me I have 2 91rs engines I have to finish breaking in for (Elvis) , 2 101RS EVO engines for my new twin and a 101Rs mono engine. That right there is about 16 gallons of nitro and a whole day at the freaking pond from morning until you can't see anymore.

Annoying

Julian

Thats why all my boats are white gelcoat Foley. See ya in turn 1... :)

What I really hate about Model Boats is breaking in Twins takes forever and in the range of 6-7 gallons 179 laps and over 3 hours of non stop running each twin. it freaking sucks. Lucky me I have 2 91rs engines I have to finish breaking in for (Elvis) , 2 101RS EVO engines for my new twin and a 101Rs mono engine. That right there is about 16 gallons of nitro and a whole day at the freaking pond from morning until you can't see anymore.

Annoying

Julian

Quit whining and drive ! You know you love it . :D

A intercoat clear can help when doing a lot of graphics. Also try doing 2 dustcoats over your vinyl graphics and let flash per manufacture directions. This will help keep the solvent from leaching under the edge of the graphics and releasing the glue when you do your wet coats.

Use a reducer for the temp/ humidity range you are painting in

One other thing I have done is use a test panel to verify something new is going to work

The reason I hate painting is knowing that it could all end in turn one . If you are a shelf queen modeler then your finishes must be amazing . For race thrashing , bright , fuel proof works for me . I absolutely can appreciate and worship fine finishes but in my world it just doesn't exist !! See you in turn one ! :D
Ditto

what foley & RRRay said. for their reasons & the fact that i cannot paint worth a ****.

greg, winter is HUNTING SEASON!!!!!! hard to say which i enjoy more, maybe i can mount a gun on my boats :lol: .

props.. my fingers have bleed enough over the yrs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats why all my boats are white gelcoat Foley. See ya in turn 1... :)

BORING!!! The D Tunnel class at the Fall Nats last week had 6 white boats running in the same heat. Looked all alike while running. A yellow tip, a small decal, etc., was the only distinction between them, if any. Makes it extremely hard to tell them apart for placing, fouls, etc. Same thing for E mono, 3 yellow Seaducer boats. One has a black pipe the others had silver pipes. The B tunnels had a ton of white ones too. It makes it real hard on the CD's, turn judges, etc. If you get called for a foul that you may not deserve, who is to blame? Be creative with stripes, stickers, etc. Think about it.

Good point John. I saw that first-hand myself. Looks like self-adhesive monokote is in my future, cause I hate painting perfectly good gelcoat!!!... :)

Good point John. I saw that first-hand myself. Looks like self-adhesive monokote is in my future, cause I hate painting perfectly good gelcoat!!!... :)
You have no idea how I oh sooo badly wanted all of them bunched up real tight on the start and only say "the white boat is over" when I was in the CD tower. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL!!!!!.......you mean all but the white LEECRAFT!!!!...... B)

Back