prop time

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chas terrell

Ok so its preseason checklist time next on my list to do is props I got the whole balancing thing, but im completely lost on how to evenly thin them down and polishing them so that they're super shiny and smooth looking ( yes, I realize the looks have nothing to do with performance) I've tried Brasco, vinger/salt/baking soda paste... they help, but they dont turn out looking anything like the props I've bought from the heavy hitter prop guys. Could someone help me out please with some tips or tricks thanks

Make yourself a fixture to hold the prop in a vise and use a 1inch belt sanding belt carefully to thin and sharpen blades. It makes the prop nice sharp and thins pretty quick. Be sure to protect your skin and airways while sanding,some wd40 works well to keep dust down......just my opinion

I don't like my props super shiny. When I get one balanced the way I like it, I will take it to my son's shop and bead blast it. I don't want the back side of the blade shiny. I don't want the water to stick to it. Bead blasting ruffs up the surface enoufg that it's worth another 3/4 to 1 1/2 MPH. Maybe it's my imagination, but I did it when I races big boats too and it seemed to help.

Ooooh ok that makes sense I have been using a dremel with some succes .I will look into getting a small belt sander what grit should i use mike ? I saw on the internet something about tinning oil linen oil something oil to achieve that smooth polish sound familiar to anyone?

Or scottsbrite wheel and a 10,000rpm air motor. If you need to hold the prop from spinning. Either mount it on a old drive shaft with a prop dog and nut.... or Put it on a Tapered Round file ( from lowes tool dept) upside down so you can work it........ either way you can hold it firmly and it will not be able to spin

Last edited by a moderator:
iight,cool... I will give it a try thanks for the help guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Use a table top belt sander. I got mine from harbor freight for about 30+/- with an online coupon. Sand each blade with a similar pattern. Then sandpaper 120 to 400 progressively and finish with scotchbrite dremel. Polish the face with any metal polish. Leave the back side scotchbrite finish.

Back