Cowl availablity for Thriftway Too U-62

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missbudpilot55

Wanting to build a Thriftway Too U-62, Newton Plan # 140 MHR 5762, but can't find a source for the cowl. Anyone have a lead on possible availablity. Or am I on my own to make a plug for same?

Thanks,

Bill Diedrich

Ventress, LA.

I tried to find one years ago and had no luck. I still have the frame on the jig.

Jack Haugen built a "Too" back in the late 70s with a full cowl but I don't know where he got the cowl for it. It might have been an R/C Sportcraft cowl and, if so, the molds are now out of reach. The boat is pictured in the "Our Boats" section of the R/C Unlimiteds website http://www.rcunlimiteds.org/

Jack Haugen built a "Too" back in the late 70s with a full cowl but I don't know where he got the cowl for it. It might have been an R/C Sportcraft cowl and, if so, the molds are now out of reach. The boat is pictured in the "Our Boats" section of the R/C Unlimiteds website http://www.rcunlimiteds.org/
Yes I know of the boat, I believe that the cowl mold was floating around somewhere in northern California in the early to mid 80's as I have been chasing one for some time. Troy McIntire didn't have the mold in his collection as he was also trying to help me locate it. Roger Newton is the one that gave me a lead to a guy in California but that never produced any results either.

Guess I'm on my own on this one, once the hull is built I can sculture one up out of foam and glass, maybe get one of the glass boat guys to lay up the mold and produce one from my plug once I reach that point in the build.

There is three of them in Ontario that I know of.

Bill Crawford raced them from early 90's to around 96 , he loved the boat.

His first was a heavy layup that he sold after he ordered a lighter version I think from California.

The heavier has gone missing and the other is owned by a good friend and is flawless but he will never sell it.

It's a rare boat and very cool on the water because its so big.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the complete boat in primer in my basement. B)

Tim
Hi Tim got any pics of the completed boat, do you have a cowl for it?

BTW before lunch I was "BSing" with one of the young auto techs in the shop and showed him a pic of the

Thiftway Too, guess what he came back from lunch with? A Dumas kit, complete, un-built, might be able to

get the general cowl shape from the formers in the kit.

Hey Bill,

These will help.

The 1/8th Scale Thriftway Too hull that came from California was most likely a K & H hull, later sold to Doug De Witte when he owned MTO, and I believe Mark Williamson has/ had them most recently. Last I heard , Mark said the cowl plug was in bad shape and unusable.

Grab a block of Styrofoam and start carving - Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

Nice looking scale you got there, wished you lived near I'd like to lift some sections

from the cowl to get the general shape of it, will have to get my Newton Plans out this

evening and compare the Dumas kit this kid brought me today to see if the general

shape of the formers is going to work for the drawing up of the frame for the cowl shape.

Looks like you are pretty close to getting that baby in the water. Is the hull a wood build up

and what about the cowl how was it made?

Hey Bill,

These will help.

The 1/8th Scale Thriftway Too hull that came from California was most likely a K & H hull, later sold to Doug De Witte when he owned MTO, and I believe Mark Williamson has/ had them most recently. Last I heard , Mark said the cowl plug was in bad shape and unusable.

Grab a block of Styrofoam and start carving - Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob
Hey Bob, I think that is what I'm in for on this one, but maybe once the plug is done we will see more of

this beauty on the water...............

Oh BTW this one I will build as an electric, with the help of my great friend Don Ferette, giving me the advise

I will need to get her going.

Bob .. Kosh and Hockaberry did make a glass scale of the TOO. and a Sport , I have the sport one I bought back in 84. M T O got the sport molds..Have never seen a glass Scale of the TOO from M T O.. There was a guy in Dist 19 that had one and it was a wood Hull... Sam was his name.. Can remember his last name.. Keep thinking it was Smiley.

Nice looking scale you got there, wished you lived near I'd like to lift some sections

from the cowl to get the general shape of it, will have to get my Newton Plans out this

evening and compare the Dumas kit this kid brought me today to see if the general

shape of the formers is going to work for the drawing up of the frame for the cowl shape.

Looks like you are pretty close to getting that baby in the water. Is the hull a wood build up

and what about the cowl how was it made?
I have been working on this boat for a long time , it needed some major tlc when I got it from Mr Ball but it's getting closer.

The entire boat is glass with carbon inlay.

Tim

For what its worth, we are buildng two of the TOO's but in gas scale. Building the White and the Mahogany versions. We will be building a mold for the cowl but it will be later this summer before complete. Finishing up on a few other hulls first.

I also saw that Jack Haugen has registered the Too in RCU for the 2013 season. Perhaps he has a mold for the cowl in 1/8 scale???

Fred

"Oh BTW this one I will build as an electric, with the help of my great friend Don Ferette, giving me the advise I will need to get her going."

Hey Bill,

An old Friend of mine, near Ferrette, is building a FE 1/8th also. We have been discussing which noise maker option would be better:

1. A Bicycle playing card attached to a fender brace and tripped by the spokes, or

2. A balloon attached to fender brace, tripped by spokes.
  3. The next main subject of concern: What aerosol can can we buy over the counter to yield the smell of burning Castor Oil ??

We are both really getting into it . Har, Har !!!

I do have a Gas Classic Thunderboat, and an engine and partially drawn plans for a Gas Scale. John is much more adventurous that I. Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

P.S. I have no idea what the symbols (​) are preceding para. 3 - I can't seem to eliminate them

"M T O got the sport molds..Have never seen a glass Scale of the TOO from M T O.."

Hey Roy,

I don't believe MTO ever used the Thriftway Too molds - the finished product from K&H was HUGE !!!

Larry Knudsen in D 19 from Escondido had one that his wife Kay raced with SCSTA - '90 - '95 ish. That was the only one I recall in D19. He's a pic of the nose it at the '95 Muncey Race in S.D. - Kay's U-62, Larry's Bud (I believe), Mike Brummet's Probe, my Ole Brown Dawg, Leonard's Bardahl, I believe Chuck McGaughy's Miller, Jack Oxley's Lincoln Thrift.

There were a few Scale boats entered that year. A GREAT time for 1/8th Scale with Southern California Scale Thunderboat Association in those years. Best scale racing I've been involved with.

When are you going to run the Miss Peps ??? CHEERS !!! Bob

The guy I'am thinking of ran in the 80 and he had the wood decked hull..He also ran with Larry.. Yeah those were the days of grate scale raceing in San Diego..Some times there were up to 40 + boats at that race.. I took pictures of them all.. About the Pesp..My buddy found a pond we can run on and now I have to get in gear and get my stuff together..Have to charge batt and get some fuel..

Food for thought. Anthony Marquart and myself designed in 3d cad the Thriftyway Too cowling as gas scale, but it can be scaled back to 1/8th scale. This cowling fits the curvature of my Thriftway Too framing kit. If anyone wants the CAD file or IGS file, I can send it to you, and give you the name of my 3axis guy who can make you a REN board mold, (or if you want the plug so you can make your own mold he can do that) of the cowling, and you will be good to go. Not sure what the cost will be on the cowling mold, but it will be spot on and I am sure plenty of others would pay for a cowling to help pay off the mold cost! Just let me know if I can help. See attached image below. Mike Luszcz

ThriftwayToo.jpg

Jack Haugen has a plug for that cowl. He said he could help you out. PM me and I'll give you his contact info.

Kirk

Food for thought. Anthony Marquart and myself designed in 3d cad the Thriftyway Too cowling as gas scale, but it can be scaled back to 1/8th scale. This cowling fits the curvature of my Thriftway Too framing kit. If anyone wants the CAD file or IGS file, I can send it to you, and give you the name of my 3axis guy who can make you a REN board mold, (or if you want the plug so you can make your own mold he can do that) of the cowling, and you will be good to go. Not sure what the cost will be on the cowling mold, but it will be spot on and I am sure plenty of others would pay for a cowling to help pay off the mold cost! Just let me know if I can help. See attached image below. Mike Luszcz
Mike

I'd like to try my hand at making a mold from a cad file...If you could send both CAD and IGES files, I think I can program it for my mill

Latest posts

Back