36" whip motor choice, 1520 Castle vs 1717??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BACKEMF

What do some of you think about using the Castle 1520 or 1717 in Whip 40?

I've heard the 1717 can be an amp hog but, I would like to hear from someone that has used either or...

please let me know.

Ray,

Either would be a good choice although both are on the upper limit and will require smaller props to limit current. I am assuming you are running 6S? Power and torque characteristics are fairly similar for both motors so it comes down to installation and what you have available. The 1717 has a little more grunt than the 1520 from my testing. Others have run a 2215 1Y or 1527 1Y in Q sport with excellent performance. The 1527 1Y is the benchmark Q motor.

TG

I can back up Tyler's suggestions. I can also add that we had two club members break away from the "gold standard" 1527/1Y and try the 2215/1Y in their Phil Thomas SS45 Q-Sport boats. Neither liked that big motor and both went back tp the smaller Neu. Will you be racing the Whip?

I use the 1717 on 6S and can't keep it on the water. I have not noticed it an amp hog. I am only running it with 5500mah packs.

Small prop. ABC H5

Two very quick 36" Whiplashes in our club run 1527/1.5Ds on 6S. They are actually pretty good on the batteries because the boats run quite light (both 1P setups, but our races are slightly shorter than yours).

As a comparison, I have run both a 1717 and a 1527/1.5D in my 37" DF 21 MkII mono, and there's barely any difference. I would go fo the 1717.

Thanks guys. I have a sirius 1717 I'll give it a go. Now to build it!!

Thanks for the prop suggestion Howard, always appreciated!!!

I may drill out the front and rear end bells to keep it from any heat build up but, if you say it's not required I won't bother...

I should have mentioned mine is the 1500kV Air version, which has holes front end rear. Very nice motor.

I've been wanting to trade mine for one of those. Rather have slightly less KV.

My buddy says the Leo 5682 1360kv works really nice in his older PT Sp40. Nice Y wind motor.

The Leo would make a good affordable choice too on 6S.

D or Wye wind is fine with me. I know some are prejudice against the D's.

Back